Sausage Temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I got a B + from my husband for my first attempt at making Smoked Kielbasa. My problem was that I could not get the internal temp of the sausage to 152. I had our smoker (my husband made me one out of an old freezer) at 162 to around 169 for 6 hours and could only reach around 130. I used Rytek Kutas recipe. The sausage looked like it was done and it was getting all wrinkled up looking. I thought Rytek said somewhere in his book that it should only take 4 to 6 hours. I used natural casings 32-35 mm. Maybe it takes longer for that size of casings, I dont know. Thats why I am asking. I took a piece of it and cooked it in some water to make sure it was cooked thru and it plumped right up and was very good. Can anyone help me on this? Thanks /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Marsha:

Could you post a little more detail?

Did you make the sausage from scratch? Or were cooking store-bought sausage?

I'm not surprised that you were having trouble getting the temp up to 152 with a smoker temp in the 162 range. Look at it this way...if you left the sausage in there forever, it would only reach an internal temp of whatever it is in the smoker!

I suspect that'll you'll probably need a little higher smoker temps.

Thanks for the info on the ingredient store Jim. I found out one way that they speed the process up is they drop the sausage in hot water to get the 152 temp. Some do it before smoking and some do it after. Saves a couple of hours. Yes Webb the Kielbasa was from scratch. I followed Ryteks recipe exactly but he does not really give you an idea about how long it should take. I guess that will come with lots of practice. Thanks for the info....marsha

Martha:

You picked a very difficult sausage to make at home, I think! A true "smoked polish sausage" has more of a cured sausage texture with a slight amount of smoke flavor and a golden-tan color. I am almost positive that this must be a cold-smoked product, done in a smoke-house at very low temperatures and relying on the salt/sodium nitrite cure for safety.

You would then take this "smoked" keilbasa and grill it before serving. We cook the storebought version regularly and also use the hot-dog sized versions on hot dog buns.

What you are describing is closer to a hot-smoked sausage where you start with raw, fresh sausage, cook it to a safe internal temp over a period of hours, and then eat it right away or freeze it. An example of this sort of thing would be cajun Andouille Sausage.

Most recipes for this sort of sausage that I have seen call for hot-smoking in the 190 - 220 degree range til you reach an internal temp of 160 degrees. Then, plunge the sausage in an ice bath to stop the cooking and quickly reduce the temperature before freezing.

The problem is that things like Andouille are supposed to have a nearly black shrivelled exterior. Smoked Keilbasa is not, but it is going to be unavoidable to get a safe internal temp. Smoking at 162-169 degrees, you'll take forever (if then) to reach an internal temp of 152 degrees.

I think the way to go would probably be to smoke them until they are the color you want, then put them in a steamer (or boil them) to finish cooking.

This is what the www.sausagemaker.com has to say about smoking keilbasa:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[qb]Sausage is placed in a preheated smokehouse at 130? F with dampers wide open. Keep this temperature until the casings are dry. Gradually increase temperature of smokehouse to 160-165? F with dampers 1/4 open. Apply heavy smoke and keep in smoker until the internal temperature reaches 152? F. If you are using a steam cabinet, remove the sausage from the smoker when it has an internal temperature of 135? F and cook in the steam cabinet to reach 152? F internally. Remove from smokehouse and shower with cold tap water until the internal temperature is reduced to 110? F Allow the sausage to hang at room temperature for about 30 minutes or until the desired bloom is obtained. Place in cooler at 38-40? F overnight.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The part about the steam cabinet acknowledges the problem you are having. That little note strikes me as the kind of thing that cookbooks love to throw in -- basically saying that, while they don't want to tell you their recipe won't work unless you do this, you have to do it or the recipe wont work!

You can't boil them first, because any moisture on the casing when they go into the smoker will make the casing hard.

On his website:
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/sausage.htm

Ed Pawlowski describes the process as cold smoking at 90 degrees for four hours, then cranking up the heat to finish cooking them to 155 degrees before serving. He doesn't specify a heat for the this final stage, but I bet that it is pretty high (250) and done pretty quickly. This process strikes me as being the right way to go. What you buy in the stores looks like Ed's sausage at the end of the 4-hour 90-degree smoke.

Another option is make the fresh Keilbasa, hot smoke it at pretty high temperatures or even grill it quickly until it is cooked through, then eat it. I dunno. Like I said, that's a tough sausage to make at home.

Hello Marsha,
After six hours, if your sausages looked done and were wrinkled, they probably were done. You might want to check the thermometer you were using.

Thanks Dave I was using a nu-temp but it was dark outside and we were using our headlights to check and maybe I didnt leave the thermometer in long enough. The inside of the sausage looked great and it tasted great. I also just received a message from Jerry at the ingredient store and he also said to test my thermometer and maybe use a smoker temp of 170. There is a huge difference in the taste of home made and store bought. Rytek Kutas recipe for Smoked Kielbasa is very good. Thanks.....Marsha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back