Sausage, Cheese & Green Chili Kolaches

jeffsipes

TVWBB Member
I had the WSM fired up tonight to cook some chicken for the family and a friend of mine that came over. While I had the cooker running, I made some kolaches for tomorrow's breakfast.

Ready to Roll

DSC_0284.jpg

Ready for the smoke

DSC_0286.jpg

Resting while the kolache dough rises

DSC_0292.jpg

Fatty meets kolache dough - I think I'm on to something here.

DSC_0293.jpg

Rolling old school, we cooked up a batch in the dutch oven.

DSC_0298.jpg

Ready to eat!

DSC_0301.jpg

Ah. Now I know what kolaches are, and yours look awesome! You're a brave man Jeff to be using hot briquettes while wearing sandals. I learned my lesson last year about that sort of thing.
icon_wink.gif

This looks GREAT!!! Was the dough ready made?

Yea, it was a nice day here yesterday. Had the AC on most all day!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lonnie Mac:
Had the AC on most all day! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Alright, now you Texans are just rubbing it in...
icon_razz.gif

Very nice Jeff! Great use off the DO!

Hey Bill, not Jeff but kolach dough is pretty basic egg/milk yeasted dough.

Here's a basic recipe. Jeff may have a mod.

1 c. warm milk
3 1/2 c. flour
1 egg
1 pkg. dry yeast
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter, melted
1 tsp. salt

In a cup, put 1/3 cup warm milk and 1 teaspoon sugar, stir. Add yeast and stir until dissolved. Let it stand and get bubbly.

Please flour in a large bowl. Make a depression in the middle. Add warm milk, eggs, sugar, melted butter, salt and yeast mixture at once, mix and knead until smooth. Grease the dough ball, let rise again. Divide into 7 portions, roll out and cover with favorite filling. Roll up; be sure to seal ends and place on cookie sheet with seam side down.

Put 2 to a cookie sheet, let rise 10 minutes. Brush tops lightly with melted butter and bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees. When golden brown remove from oven and place on paper towels to cool. Brush tops with butter while kolaches are still hot.

Of course Jeff used his DO instead of the oven, very cool!!

You can use this dough to make lots of things, you don't have to seal the ingredients inside either. I've used this dough recipe to make lots of traditional Czech/Polish stuff. Make a sweet filling for example. Roll out the dough spread, roll up, slice and bake.

I made the dough myself generally using the recipe found here: Sausage Kolache Recipe

I find that the dough that this recipe yields isn't sweet enough for me so I add a little extra sugar. The good news is that it is a very forgiving dough. I let it rise twice per the instructions, fold around the sausage and then it rise again while I get the dutch oven ready. Next time, I plan on putting the sausage in the dough after the first rise to see if I can stuff them fuller and then let the dough expand more fully.

I halved the fatties before rolling them but in hindsight don't think I will do that again. I'll wrap them with the dough to the point of tearing the dough and see what results.

I cooked half the recipe in the oven at 425 and half the recipe in the dutch oven (doing my best to replicate 425), both for about 10 minutes. The dutch oven version browned much better than those in the oven. I don't have enough experience to know why that is or if that was a one off. Seems I'll have to do this again and see what happens.

I typically cook wearing my steel toed anti-briquet flip flops but the weather was so nice last night, I lapsed into more casual attire. Next time I won't catch my foot in the picture.

If you have any questions on the klobasneks (really and truly, kolaches are the fruit filled version), I'm happy to share my experience.

Back