SAUCE MADE FROM BUTT DRIPPINGS

Sal Fontana

TVWBB Member
Hi all Q'er's,

I experimented this past Saturday with 2 butts I smoked.

I wanted to use the drippings left in the water pan for the sauce. I transferred all of the cooled down liquid to a jar and skimmed the fat out. I tested the sauce with a piece of the pork and it was really good but a bit too salty. I then added some brown sugar and reduced it a bit and the end result was delicious.

Has anyone tried doing this?

Does anyone have any advise for me?

Hope everyone is having a great summer!!

Sal

thats the way to go amigo. I was told some people dump in fat and all, and 2 or 3 times now I have and didn't notice any clumping after refrigeration. I'de like to know more about this though, as I imagine that fat 'clumps' could happen sometimes depending on sauce or something. Like I said i'de like it to be touched on further as well but i do know it makes a helluva sauce, It's so authentic tasting and good. im now hooked. not ONE pork or briskit goes on without beans or chili underneath, or even just a catch for the dripping to do something with, sauce, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Mills:
If this was any place but a BBQ forum this thread title would be high comedy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think its borderline, even for a bbq forum lol.

Brandon

WOW- I see what you mean.
icon_mad.gif
This topic sounds really strange. I should have eliminated butt in the topic.

It's a good thing everyone knows what I am referring to!!
icon_wink.gif

does anyone have a good recipe for the drippings? Do you just drop some brown sugar in it? I've been wanting to do this and trying to find a sweet thinner finishing sauce to make with it since I don't care a whole lot for high vinegar based sauces.

Bryan or Kevin posted one recently. I can't remember exact specifics, but if I can recall, try mixing whatever defatted drippings you have with 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce. Mix in 1/2 cup of melted butter. Play with it from there, but you might have gold already at that point.

Chad,
Bryan's finishing sauce is 1/4 cup butter, bbq sauce, and chicken stock in equal parts, dont think it includes drippings, although you certainly could.

Brandon

Leave out the chicken stock and use the drippings. I like to put a dutch oven full of beans on the lower rack to catch the drippings. When I first did this I thought that I would have to defat the beans a little, but no sir. The beans soaked it right up. Drippings in anything makes it 10x better. I'll even put a pan of mac and cheese underneath to catch some drippings.
Drippings = Liquid Gold

Back