Sauce ingredient

Greg C.

TVWBB Member
Does anyone know what the spice is that gives A-1 sauce it's distinctive taste? I ate at a BBQ place that had a sauce with an ingredient I had never tasted in BBQ sauce before but knew I had tasted it somewhere. I figured out it was in A-1 sauce. My wife, who has a nose like a bloodhound, confirmed it after smelling and tasting both of the sauces. The sauce I bought from the BBQ place is really overwhelming. I mixed some of it with a mustard sauce I make and it was really good. I'd like to try adding that spice to my recipe. Thanks for any help.

Take your pick.

A1 SAUCE CLONE
Printed from COOKS.COM
1/2 cup dark molasses
2 green onions, chopped
3 tbsp coarse kosher salt
3 tbsp dry mustard
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp garlic powder
1 anchovy fillet, chopped
1 tbsp anchovy paste
6 tbsp fresh tamarind
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp fenugreek
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cardamon seeds
1/4 tsp Tabasco
6 oz Rhine wine
2 oz Rosé wine
1 pint white vinegar
1 tbsp kitchen bouquet
1 tbsp Postum powder

Put all spices (except last 6 ingredients) through blender until finely pulverized. Place over low heat with half of the vinegar and simmer for 1 hour. Add remaining vinegar a small portion at a time as the sauce is reduced in volume.

Stir in Tabasco, wines, Kitchen Bouquet.

Cook 3 minutes to dissolve. Remove from heat.

Pour into a crockery or tupperware container. Allow to stand covered for up to 1 week. Then strain thru cheesecloth, six times. Bottle and cap tightly.

Keep refrigerated indefinitely. Freeze to keep for years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg C.:
Does anyone know what the spice is that gives A-1 sauce it's distinctive taste? I ate at a BBQ place that had a sauce with an ingredient I had never tasted in BBQ sauce before but knew I had tasted it somewhere. I figured out it was in A-1 sauce. My wife, who has a nose like a bloodhound, confirmed it after smelling and tasting both of the sauces. The sauce I bought from the BBQ place is really overwhelming. I mixed some of it with a mustard sauce I make and it was really good. I'd like to try adding that spice to my recipe. Thanks for any help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Orange peel. No kidding.

thanks for such quick replies. I was thinking it was just a spice. But the raisin and orange peel part may be......

I'm not familiar with some of those spices mention in the first post, such as tamarind, fenugreek or cardamon. My mustard sauce has cumin in it. Which of those do you think might go well with cumin?
Something that might weed through some of those spices is the fact this BBQ joint and it's sauce has been around for long long long time, just how long I don't know. But it is located in the Delta of Arkansas in a very poor part of the state. I'm thinking when this sauce was first developed they didn't have access to many hi-falutin spices. Would that weed some of those spices in that list out? It also points more to the oranges and raisins. The ingredients list applesauce but you can't tell by taste that it has any in it.

I have several thoughts going on at the same time, hope I don't confuse anyone.

The clone posted isn't accurate. Tamarind (not a spice, a fruit), orange and raisin are the key flavors.

Back