Saturday's BBQ Chicken

Ken_K

TVWBB Super Fan
I decided to try a high heat cook on my WSM since I have never tried it before. I bought a 12 inch clay saucer and placed it into the water pan and covered all with HD foil.

This was sort of an exercise to see how my cooker would perform with high heat in preparation for a high heat brisket run next weekend. So I loaded the ring as if I was cooking for that length of time. I "Minoined" the start with 40 lit. I used Kroger's brand briquettes -- which I assume are really Royal Oak with in a Kroger's bag. The temp came up nicely with all vents wide open. I was aiming for 325 and could tell it would stall out around 280 or so, I flipped the door and propped with my grill bush. That got it up to 325 and it stayed there for the rest of the cook.

I was very happy with the temp control and the chicken came out great -- pics below -- this was a confidence builder for me to tackle high heat brisket next weekend.

ETA: for the smoke wood I used two packets of BBQers Delight Cherry Pellets, was very pleased with the smokiness of the finished product.

http://img.photobucket.com/alb...ix/4-18-19BBQ001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/alb...ix/4-18-19BBQ003.jpg

Just curious. Why the clay saucer if you're going for high heat? Was this just an experiment?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Just curious. Why the clay saucer if you're going for high heat? Was this just an experiment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I just wanted to see what it would do. I will probably leave it out from now on when doing high heat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Nice looking chicken. How was the skin? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!, Actually there was no skin, I saw a post in the turkey forum where a guy had taken the skin off everything except the legs and wings I think. We are not big poultry skin fans here so I thought I would give that a shot.

It really turned out great I think with the rub being directly on the meat. I soaked them in a basic brine for a couple hours before they went on the smoker and the breast stayed nice and moist except of course for the outer-most layer which ended up having a bark-like consistency -- in any case not objectionable at all, and at least to my preference better than having to deal with the skin.

Ken, thanks for the information about no skin. I've been avoiding chicken cause my last chickens had great skin flavor, but the rest was bland. Now that you mention no skin, I'm gonna give it a shot again without the skin. I'll have to do a quick search and find a simply brine.

Clay I really liked how they turned out without the skin, I left the skin on the legs and wings but wish I had taken it off the legs too now.

The brine I used I got from the cooking topics, 1 qt water, 1/2 sugar, 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs of Morton Kosher Salt.

Back