Santa Maria Grill Build

Karl Repsher

TVWBB Fan
Hey all,

After my hiatus, one of the first threads that caught my eye was a Santa Maria Grill, since I was saving for a charcoal grill and since they are so expensive here I decided to build a Santa Maria Grill instead, I'm making it portable so that I can take it with me to friends homes and cook up some Tri-Tip for them, kinda like, ...Have BBQ, Will Travel. ;:cool:

However with this site being food oriented I'm not sure if this is allowed or even interesting to anyone, so if it's not allowed or there isn't any interest just say so and I'll delete it, ...no worries mates.

I like working with steel, especially after working with wood all week, so I'm jazzed about this project and it has a double bonus of being able to bless others with it too.

The steel fabricator finished shearing and bending my firebox, picked it up Tuesday.

1aru.jpg

The firebox welded together, it's 18"x31", plenty of room for a skillet of beans, I'm using 3mm (1/8") steel plate.

qk7u.jpg

We cut a couple of combustion air holes on each end.

rqqv.jpg

The base parts and legs all cut ready to be welded and the two side supports for the crank rod to raise and lower the grill, I salvaged a couple of lawn mower wheels with their brackets to roll it around with.

94ci.jpg

That's all for this weekend, if anyone is interested I'll post pics of what we have accomplished next weekend.

Thanks for looking,

Karl

Keep building and posting we want to see the final result. Plus I want to see how you break it in. :wsm:

I am an (very) amateur welder so I would love to see how it comes along. I don't think youll find anyone complaining about a grill build thread :)

Boy , I wish I had some metal working skills! The Santa Maria grill is one of the coolest cooking devices ever! This is fascinating. Keep the pix coming.

Back