Sandblaster painted inside my cook box....what do I do now?

Ok......my decision has been made...... I spoke with the blaster man and Rustoleum. Rustoleum says not food grade and they cannot recommend the paint inside the cook box. She also went on to say it will peel off.......she said she doesnt care how its removed whether I burn it off.....or blast it off....but their stance is no no no. Now is that covering their rear end? Maybe but thats their stance. She also seems to be talking about the paint peeling vs off gassing...but when I pressed her she went the safe route and just said to remove it.
The blaster man who is very knowledgeable and has done considerable research for some of his commercial clients regarding food grade coatings is calling BS .......I wont bore you with our entire conversation but he does paint his commercial grills inside and out....although he uses a different product. His stance is that he would feed his own family from my grills and would not even write a disclaimer in my ad. He thinks a couple burn offs do the job of making the grill safe. He did say he could blast them for me and would do the work on my dime but it would ruin the outside as well and would have to completely re do the entire inside and out project.
He says the MFR's dont want to pay the big bucks for the food grade stamp....and went on to give me some examples .....again wont bore u anymore than I already have.

I will leave them painted.......do no less than 5 burn off's at high temps......even a wipe down with dish soap prior to sale just so I can be sure that I am doing my best to protect my buyer.

Jim, did your guy sandblast your lid end caps too? I don't think you mentioned that. I think I would be more worried about the paint bubbling or flaking off than anything else and doing a nice burnoff should uncover that potential problem before you pass it on to someone else.

Jim V. I agree about Rustoleum looking to cover their behinds
and I would expect nothing less than that from them.
As for the true final verdict, we will likely never know.
It seems a few times a year something that was thought
was totally safe, all of the sudden becomes a problem.
About the only other unknown at this point is, how your
buyers will react.

Could be Rustoleum is thinking actual food "contact". Yeah I would agree there. IOW a surface coming in contact with food. That could explain the stance they've given you

Ok my fellow Weber freaks........This darn green grill captured my soul one day on Facebook market place and this is the one that dragged me back into the game after 4 months off. I have a love and kinda like relationship with this understated green color. I mean I love it....but dang it ...it just doesnt have any " pop " in it at all.....just cool and calm.....just a chillin green hood with a cool handle......nothing to see here. The ole gal sat on my deck for a month or so next to my Silver B that is also green but the " strong " powerful green! " When I finally jumped in this ole gal became the Houdini of curve balls. The first curve ball low and outside was the rotted portions of the frame that I couldnt see until I removed the cook box. Then the seized cook box to frame bolt that broke numerous drill bits......then the realization she was missing a drip trey and holder $24 cha ching.......then trying to get the proper burner tube set for ole 1000's can be tricky......then she wants a screw on style starter ( had in stock ) na na na bo bo......then she gets her innerds painted by Mr Sand Blaster ( death blow ) .........Well then I dragged u guys through three pages of my cook box drama until today I said the heck with it Greenie......your goin' back into service whether u like it or not. So tonight I got the ole 7/16 out and started a tinkerin away.....
I didnt completely finish her but good enough for a photo shoot. I only have a few things left on the punch list....
one more black knob
resto the tank scale
clean the grey wood
Purchase drip tray combo////cha ching
Do 600 hundred burn offs and a wipe down and send her back to the grind.

I will tease u guys with several pics.......I dont know how to load several onto one page so u will have to suffer through endless posts with only one or two pics per page.....

For sale
Weber Genesis 1000 Green Hood 13 bar Gas grill that just might kill you......or not......$35020211119_201641.jpg20211119_201808.jpg

Did ya notice the paint defect in the last round? Bet ya did :) I will let the guy slide....it still looks better than any of my paint jobs. What good is this correct length cross over if there are no slots to run the center tube through? Am I missing something? Ok thats all folks! I also have 3 red hoods that I can put on this grill if she needs some pop.....but I will see how she does as just plain chilled out greenie and if she is slow to sell....I will bring the thunder and install a red hood.
20211119_192421.jpg

Jim, she looks fantastic! Great job! There is definitely something going on with crossover tubes on these aftermarket burner tubes, though I haven't seen that yet.

Thanks! Ya I believe the crossover I shared a pic of is OEM and the correct length but no cut out in it......I was lucky to have one last set of Weber burner tubes for the Green Beast...... The crossover that came with my aftermarket set was way too short.
Now I have a red and a black 1000 to complete before I call it a season.

Ha.....ya I have quite the ladder collection right now.....several more in the other warehouse next to this one. The company I work for is a retail business and we have a ladder in every store......well with this frickin covid scenario we have had to close several stores and thus the good stuff comes back to the warehouse like ladders....refrigerators.....computers ....etc. One of the things I do for our company is manage our warehouses........and I purposely keep one warehouses very organized so I tinker on old dirty grills in there.

Back