Sand method question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Appler

TVWBB Super Fan
Today I used the Minion method with sand for the first time. I coooked two turkey breasts (with bone) and a pork butt ~5 1/2 pounds. The pork turned out great.

The turkey turned out good, but not great. It was a little dry. I did baste often with apple cider and white wine. Cooking temps were ~245-250 pretty solid the entire cooking time (except during basting of course). I have never done turkey before, but when my father does they turn out very moist.

Did the switch from water to sand cause the turkey to dry out a bit? Anyone else tried turkey over sand

-Matt

Note: The turkey still turned out quite good!

Couple of questions on the turkey, did you brine or inject before cooking?
What was the finish temp on the breasts?
Brinning or injecting will help a lot with moisture content in the final product.
Pulling breast at 160? internal shold leave you with moist turkey also.
Jim

Jim,
I did not brine or inject the turkey at all. That is absolutely what I should try next time. Finish temp was 165.

Thanks,
Matt

Matthew
An injection of a seasoned butter would do a lot of good to increase moisture level at the end of the cook, as an easy fix.
Jim

Your finish temp may have been a tad high. I try to take turkey off at 157-160 in the breast. Then let sit for a few minutes to let juices soak back in. I do agree with injecting or brining.

Another trick I learned was to save the pan juices from any meat and either freeze or refrigerate then add to your injection concoction the next time.

Over Thanksgiving I did the Cook's Illustrated method of turkey. I cooked one in the smoker. Anyway, while making the stock which I used as part of my turkey injection. I added some frozen drippings from many (48) briskets I cooked several months prior. I had saved about 2 cups of drippings. They were great added to the injection.

Last night we took out a frozen turkey quarter for supper and it was just as moist and tender as it was Thanksgiving day.

If you do save drippings, skim fat, strain large particles, and use or freeze.

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back