Sand in the water pan

Mark

There's lots written about it so do a search using "sand" and you'll probably find more than you wanted to know.

I use it exclusively for overnight cooks. Obviously, you don't have to refill the waterpan, but I've found it to be a more efficent use of the heat source - I get longer cooks out of my charcoal. I won't bore you with why I think this occurs.

The primary advanatage many would say is clean up. I don't agree.

You will need to be careful because the biggest problem seems to be temps getting too high. Just watch the therm and control on the way up. Start shutting vents down at 180 to 200 and stabilize at around 240 to 250 lid.

It's just another tool and one that helps me a lot.

Paul

Mark,

I've been using sand for well over 18 months now. Paul is correct, you must control your temps on the way up when using sand, if you do this, you won't have any problems at all.

Some say that radiant heat from the sand can cause higher temps on the lower grate, I have not found that to be a problem. I usually am cooking butts on the lower grate and they can handle a little higher temp any way, but it's not that much higher, if at all.

Clean up is easy too, by the way.

I know this has probably been covered ad naseum over the years...

I haven't yet used sand in place of water in the pan... but have been thinking of doing so for some overnighters - for the reason Paul suggests.

My question: I had heard that the water imparts some moisture to the smoker, thus keeping things a bit more moist. While I doubt this has any effect on the inside of the meat, (the fat is what keeps it moist) it seems it would help prevent the outside from getting too dry. I've had a problem with that recently - my bark has been almost jerky... even though I've sprayed with mop sauce semi regularly. Would using sand, rather than water, make it even drier?

Mark
I currently have sand in the pan, it works great. You use less fuel and by the time it stabilises I just have one vent at 5% open. The major feature of using water is that you have a mass between the heat source and your meat that can never exceed 100*C (the fact that boiling is a cooling process ensures that any excess heat leaves the cooker as steam), sand can be any temperature, so with sand you lose this buffer and need to really close down the vents agressively. At some point the charcoal will really get going you need to control the rate at which new fuel is lit. I may switch to water for overnight cooks, I *do* notice that after 6 hours or so, the lower grate gets a lot hotter with sand that with water.

Adamclyde

I don't think you'd have a more difficult problem with the surface of the meat being drier and tougher using sand rather than water. I imagine that is a factor of heat and if you have spikes at the wrong time with either, you'll have that effect.

I did have a problem with a smaller brisket flat dring out on the bottom grate when I used sand. That may have had something to do with the radiant effect, the heat on the lower grate or me just not having the correct size flat to cook in this manner.

Paul

It would be nice if one of the guys ran a test with sand and water measuring temps on both grates.

I have noticed a difference in bark with water v sand. It is not a big deal but I do notice a difference.

Sand is not a problem for top self cooking but I think the lower gets more heat than it would with water.

Another difference I have observed is later in a long cook, if I have to stir the coals and / or add coals, It is much more likely to get a temp spike with sand as water.

These are my observations based on how I do it. Others with more experience may know better or do better....

You will burn less charcoal with sand all things being equal.

Yes, sand works great, just make sure you use foil with it for easy cleanup. You can foil your waterpan with one piece of foil, then pour in sand, then if you really are a neatfreak, add another layer of foil on top. Temps stay constant, plus it's reusable. Perfect for overniters.

These tests demonstrate that done properly, any method can work well.

Two unanswered questions are how easy is temp control over a long cook where you may stir or add coals and the other question being texture of the bark for the three methods and two shelf positions.

I think the bark is a little harder when I do a Picnic with sand. While I agree h2o in the pan does not "add" moisture to your cook, I think it helps prevent the outside from drying out as much.

I am going to find a brinkman pan and try the water for some "testing" with the bark again. My old brinkman had a small pinhole (rusted out lol) or two in it. Glad I found it while I was cleaning and not during an overnight cook.

Back