Salty taste

Kim Petersson

TVWBB Member
Everyone loves the taste of my BBQ. How ever I am starting to find that they all seem to taste a little salty. I typically make my own rubs and they all contain large amounts of salt. I coat my Q with what I would call a medium amount of rub. Should I put less rub on or just cut back on the amount of salt in my rubs.

Kim,
If they love the taste, they must like what you are doing with the rub and the amount of rub you use. I would cut back on the amount of salt in the rub, and apply at the rates you have been using.
Is it possible that you are using cuts of meat that are "enhanced" with a flavoring / tenderizing solution? If so, this is a considerable source of salt and you'll want to cut back on the salt you add just because of the solution. Good luck.

Kim--

Note any of my rub recipes in the recipe section. I don't put any salt in any of them. I salt the meat first, allow the salt to draw moisture to the surface by waiting several minutes, then apply the rub over the salt. If I want more rub I just wait again till moisture is drawn and apply more.

The moisture holds the rub. The lack of salt means I can apply any quantity I want--light to very heavy--and not be concerned whatsoever with the meat being under- or over-salted.

Try it and see what you think.

Thanks Kevin. I will take your advise. I may also change the type of salt I use. I usually use Diamond brand Kosher salt. I may try some Maldon sea salt. Between the two changes I may find the taste I am looking for.

Back