Salted Air-Dried Ham from Charcuterie

I told him about the prosciutto and he was surprised to hear people actually do that at home.

he might like to try a bit.

woo hoo! do I get to spend another 8 month feverishly watching my gmail inbox for notifications of updates to this thread? version 2.0 perhaps?

Originally posted by j biesinger:
he might like to try a bit.

woo hoo! do I get to spend another 8 month feverishly watching my gmail inbox for notifications of updates to this thread? version 2.0 perhaps?

Yes he would, I offered to let him try it. We still haven't met, I picked up the meat at the butcher shop last year. I'll make a point to swing up that way this Summer.

I've actually been dealing with the dad of the teenage boy who raised the pork. That makes me feel all the better about buying from him. The family grows organic produce and has supplied some very fine restaurants (Rick Bayless's Frontera Grill and Charlie Trotter's to name two).

As for the next 8 months, I'll be looking for suggestions on what to do with that new ham.

Originally posted by j biesinger:

Sorry for the late posting, but this year I'm making the Blackstrap Molasses Country Ham from Charcuterie. I only ages a couple months before consumption. I cold smoked it last week and it smells like heaven.

Probably time for a new thread.

img0030edited.jpg

This is the ham curing. The cure includes kosher salt, Prague Powder #2 (salt with both nitrite and nitrate added), black strap molasses, brown sugar, dark rum, and a variety of spices. That turned into a thick, sticky mass that I smeared over my Berkshire ham.

P1030091_edited.JPG

After aging six months in my basement, I chose the July 4 weekend to start eating my country ham.

Before butchering, the ham had a dryish exterior. In fact, the outer portions are close to rock hard and not very flavorful.

img0556edited.jpg

Inside, the meat is a moist dark red, tender to eat, and very flavorful. The ham is less salty than other country hams I have eaten and the meat has a complex flavor to it.

img0559edited.jpg

Ham & biscuits for lunch. Perfection!

img0564edited.jpg

Nice work!

I can only imagine your sense of accomplishment, that's a real feat and to have success must be truly gratifying.

That's amazing. I've been waiting for the conclusion to this thread since I got here! i have to say, the payoff was worth the wait.

I had an opportunity to sample some of JRPfeff's country ham this past weekend and it's everything he says and then some; I'm no expert but I certainly thought it was very good.

bratfest_100905_03.jpg

Brad

Wow, so impressed. After these two, how can you stop yourself from doing more? Wish I could taste some. Beautiful work. Sure makes me want to give it a try. I for one though wouldn't think about it until I could source the same quality first.

Back