Salmon To Die For

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris
Here is the recipe as we do it:
CarDogs BBQ Salmon (Dry method)
3 lb. filet of salmon - boned (preferably Sockeye or King)

Dry rub:
1 C light brown or turbinado sugar
1 C non-iodized table salt
3 T granulated garlic
3 T granulated onion
1 T dill weed
1 T summer savory
2 t tarragon

Finishing rub:
? C light brown or turbinado sugar
1 T granulated garlic
1 T granulated onion
1 t summer savory
1 t tarragon

Buy a fresh salmon filet, sockeye or king if available. Bone the filet using tweezers or needle nose pliers. Do not remove the skin. Place in a glass or stainless steel pan.

Mix all ingredients and pack on the flesh side of the filet(aprox 1/4" thick). Let the filet rest in the refridgerator for 2 to 3 hours (the longer you leave the rub on the stronger the salt flavor). Rinse the filet in cool clean water to remove the dry rub and pat dry. Allow to dry for about 30 minutes, until the flesh becomes tacky.

Heat a BBQ grill to medium to medium-high. Sprinkle finishing rub on the filet (twice what you would use as if you were heavy salt and peppering). Cook with the lid closed to 140? to 155? (your preference) measured in the center of the thickest part filet.

We recommend using a wood to produce smoke while cooking. On a charcoal grill, just sprinkle a few wood chips on the coals. On a gas grill, place wood chips in a pouch made of aluminum foil. Poke holes in the top of the pouch and place it on the hottest spot under the grill. Alder is our wood of choice, but fruitwoods are a wonderful substitute.

You can also smoke it lower temps 225 to 250?, this allows for more smoke on the filets.

The Sunset Mag does change recipes when you submit them from the orginal.
Jim

Jim, thanks a ton for the recipie. I think in my case the salty taste came from using the same rub the recipie Chris posted in the Lets cook section with the salt in it for a finishing rub. Your finishing rum dosent have that. Will try it on Wednesday.

The good stuff (Pacific king salmon) is prohibitively expensive here in the midwest (when its even available) and most of the farm raised Atlantic is only about 2.5 lbs a fillet. I was thinking I could smoke more if I used the cut up filets and just buy the thicker pieces from the forward part of the fish (as opposed to the tapered thinner tails) but I was wondering if there is any downside to this?

Also the recipie calls for leaving the fish out at room temprature after the first rub for an hour. Is there a food handling concern here or does the salt in the rub brine the fish in a way that you dont need to be concerned about it?

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Jacko: Just brush some oil on to keep from sticking to grate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Man, I must be using a different kind of salmon. My fishmonger gets whole Norwegian salmon, farm raised. I have him leave the skin on if he fillets it for me, but let me tell you, there is no need to brush it with olive oil. This salmon literally drips fat, lots of it. That's one of the things I like about grilling or smoking it: I don't have to contend with all of that fat. I used to cook it on top of the stove in a frying pan, but I'd end up with the fillets floating in oil.

Jim L.

Tom
With the salt that has been on the fish for a number of hours letting it set out for one hour drying is not a problem. The reason for this step is to draw some fat out of the fish.
Jim

To Chris:

I am referring to the recipe for brine you posted for the chicken breasts:

All-Purpose Brine

1 quart cool water
1/2 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt 1/2 cup sugar
Mix in a non-reactive container until dissolved. Makes 1 quart of brining solution. Substitute 1/4 cup + 2 TBSP Morton Kosher Salt or 1/4 cup table salt for Diamond Crystal.

Table salt will inpart more salt than the same amount of Kosher salts because of the form each salt is in.
A 1/4 of table salt is more salt by volume than kosher salt.
Jim

Jim:

Yes thanks, I am keenly aware of that explanation(see my prior post above). I was referring to the distinction Chris makes between Morton Kosher and Diamond Crystal Kosher salts in his recipes.

Morton Kosher has a agent added to keep it from caking and again by volume coatains less salt than Diamond.
This info is out there on different sites on canning and curing where exact amounts of salts a critical to finsihed product.
Jim

I saw that Sam's Club carries big bags of Diamond Crystal Granular Salt but it doesn't say it's Kosher salt. Is this the same stuff?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JackO:
[qb]Substitute 1/4 cup + 2 TBSP Morton kosher salt or 1/4 cup table salt for 1/2 cup Diamond Crystal kosher salt.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Morton kosher salt is roughly halfway between table salt and Diamond Crystal kosher salt in terms of weight per cup:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1 cup table salt = 10 ounces
<LI>1 cup Morton kosher salt = 8 ounces
<LI>1 cup Diamond Crystal kosher salt = 5 ounces

[/list]
As a result, one uses less Morton kosher than Diamond Crystal kosher. In the case of the recipe you're referring to, 2 TBSP less Morton kosher than Diamond Crystal kosher. Regarding the salt at Sam's Club, if it doesn't specifically say kosher salt on the package, it's probably not.
Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb]CarDogs BBQ Salmon (Dry method)

Dry rub:
1 C light brown or turbinado sugar
1 C non-iodized salt...[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim, I assume this is table salt?

Chris

The Morton salt granules are huge. The Diamond Crystal must be boulders to only get 5oz per cup!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JackO:
[qb]The Diamond Crystal must be boulders...[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Just think of them as big, fluffy snowflakes... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back