Salmon Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erich K

TVWBB Fan
I'm planning to smoke a salmon fillet later today, but don't want to apply any of the marinades and/or heavy coating of rub that I've seen on the site because they all have a lot of salt/sodium, and want to avoid that due to a family member's dietary needs. I plan to coat it with some olive oil and maybe some spices, and see how it goes. Anyone had any experience/advise with smoking salmon without a marinade??

No experience but I'd use lemon (with maybe lime), EVOO, Dill weed and a little frech ground black pepper. Mix everything together and use as a marinade and/or mopping sauce. Maybe leave the pepper till last or individual taste. Use Cherry, Apple or Alder for best results or very, very little of a stronger wood like Hickory or Mesquite.
EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I prefer first cold press, estate bottled, from Tuscany or California.
That's just my best guess,
HTH

Thanks Konrad for the input. Due to the time change I already had the fish on the smoker. I just coated with some olive oil and a sprinkle of bbq rub, and it turned out really tasty. The wife really loved it. I'll have to try your mix sometime. So even if someone wants to cut down on the salt or just wants something with a little less prep time, this worked out just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back