Salmon and Scallops - Weber Style

Stuart S

TVWBB Pro
Salmon and scallops were on order tonight. My wife is not a big fan of salmon, but I showed her Wolgasts post with the smoked salmon he did a little while ago and she said she'd give it a go if I smoked it. I figured I'd add a little insurance and add a few scallops (which she loves) and some lemon dill cream sauce to make it easy on her. 

Started with about a quarter of a chimney of previously burnt briqs and apple wood for smoke. Put the salmon on a tin foil "pan" that was oiled, salted and peppered and hit the top of the fish with some SnP as well. 

e68242bf.jpg

While that took on the smoke I prepped the scallops by drying them and dosing them with SnP as well.  

4b94f0da.jpg

You can see the other tin foil pan heating up in the background of the first pic, I seared the scallops off on there. I really needs me a small cast iron pan to put on the BBQ and the cook tonight convinced the wife that we are going to get one. 

Here's a plated pic with some couscous and green beans with lime butter.  

590f3e57.jpg

And a close up of the main attraction. 

f2df77f9.jpg

Lampe already pointed out on Facebook that the plate has wide open spaces...after spending a week in Newfoundland and eating really great, simple food, my wife and I both lost 4 pounds. It's convinced us to try to eat better and lose even more weight so the plate is a little bit light by design
icon_smile.gif

Looks super stuart! I just thought you had really big plates!!!what recipe did ya use for that lime butter?

Originally posted by Morgan C.:
Looks super stuart! I just thought you had really big plates!!!what recipe did ya use for that lime butter?

It's super easy, and so good on everything, especially corn!

- About 3/4 cup softened salted butter, or margarine (I use butter)
- Zest of 2 limes
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh cracked black pepper

When you mix in the lime juice it won't want to mix. Keep stirring with a fork, it will eventually incorporate. Keeps in a Tupperware in the fridge forever...I assume the lime juice preserves it. It won't really harden and it's easy to spoon out.

Looks great Stuart! Did you cook directly over the coals? How long did you cook the fish and at what temperature? We love salmon but, my bbq'ing experience with fish has been dismal. Did you also make your lemon dill cream sauce?

Originally posted by Jack O:
Looks great Stuart! Did you cook directly over the coals? How long did you cook the fish and at what temperature? We love salmon but, my bbq'ing experience with fish has been dismal. Did you also make your lemon dill cream sauce?

Hey Jack,

I cooked the fish indirect at 350 until it hit 130 internal temp in the thickest part, then moved the foil over the hot coals to crisp up the skin (I love the skin, best part if you ask me!).

I did make the sauce as well, softened half of a finely chopped shallot in EVOO, then added heavy cream, lemon zest and dill and reduced for 5-10 minutes. Added fresh lemon juice and a dash of black pepper just before serving.

Stuart, Thanks that sounds great, We'll have to try that later this week. We had a 1 1/2" slice of Wild King Salmon tonight that I quick seared in my cast iron pan a few minutes on each side and then finished in the oven @ 400 degrees. I used Cajun rub on the outside prior to cooking.

Back