Safeway butcher!!!!

Erik G

TVWBB Pro
So I went to Safeway to check on their Rib Roast. They're on sale for $5.99/lb bone-in and since I usually enjoy their ranchers reserve steaks, I thought lets give it try. I go up to the butcher asking how to select a rib roast. I wanted to know the difference between the short end and long end and how to identify both ends (since the rib bones are hidden). His response was he didn't have all day to explain to me and picked one for me and said to take his word. He also said that I should be selecting the long end since there's more fat and therefore the meat will be more tender (while he was walking away). I'm thinking that's not necesarily true and felt that I didn't need to put up with this dudes attitude, so I put the meat down and walked out the store. Am I just overreacting or do I have a reason to be upset? Has anyone else experienced some holiday attitude?

Way to go, walking out! He was "Service Personnel" - his job was helping you, not upsetting you

Originally posted by Erik G:
His response was he didn't have all day to explain to me and picked one for me and said to take his word
I've noticed that most folks who don't have time to explain also don't have the ability to explain, so they avoid doing so.

There is also the issue of whether he was correct. He wasn't. Though of course it's a subjective decision, the short end (also called the first-cut) is thought preferable. While true that there is more fat on the long end, it comes from the chuck end of the cut and is usually not quite as tender as the short end. (An explanation on his part might have taken as long as 45 seconds.)

I hope you put the rib roast back in the "hot food" section!
icon_mad.gif

Personally I've encountered more rudeness among "butchers" than any other personnel when in comes to supermarkets.

Just an FYI there's a butcher shop on Havana Street, Aurora, Colorado. The butchers there never smile and one screamed at the top of his lungs at me when I inquired for the 3'rd time if they could get some pork fatback. F($& them.

I went to my local neighborhood Safeway today and was looking for a turkey and a spiral ham, every employee asked if they could help me or if I needed help finding something, it was kind of frightening-like pod people! But I will say that the the people behind the meat counter went out of their way to make sure I got what I was looking for. My nephew works for a chain grocer and said he was reprimanded by a supervisor for not being "helpful enough" to a secret shopper.

Typically Safeway has the best customer service (to make up for their high prices) but for whatever reason, this guy was a real prick. Unfortunately, I still need a rib roast and have no clue where to buy it (the other stores typically carry select graded meat). I've looked at lobels.com, however I am not sure if it's worth the price. Anybody have any experience with their meats? I am looking at a price of $275.00 (w/ shipping) for a 7lb bone in prime rib.

Am I just overreacting or do I have a reason to be upset?
Erik,

Off and on I have experienced "bad attitudes" in chain grocery stores. I decided a few years ago that I would do something about that kind of service and I now call the 1-800 customer service number for the store and file a complaint I have found this to be very effective. A few chains even follow up with a phone call back to see if the problem is resolved (Lowe's Foods recently did this).

Good luck,

Ray

my local grocery store in Mattoon illinois is county market and the maet manager there is just a great person that is very helpful in October when I orderd my ribs for the Arthur contest I didn't order them from him I ordered them from one of the meat workers well the order was messed up and I didnt get the ribs I wanted needless to say i was not happy I sent a letter to the store manager voicing my displeasure and the meat manager called me at home to apoligize to me and told me my next contest rib order would be gree he also gave me his cell phone number ans told me to casll him if he wasnt there next time i made an order, he also went out og his way to introduce me to the other meat cutter that was very knowledgable and told me only to deal with them..since that letter I have not had any problems they know me by first name and i get want i want, the prices are a little more expensive that sams club but the service is outstanding..my opinoin for you is to write the store a letter and let them know how you were treated it worked for me, they don't want to lose business, especially from us barbequers who but expensive meat.

Located in my town in south GA are both an IGA supermarket and an independent butcher shop. The butchers at both places are quite knowledgeable and give excellent service.

Can't say the same thing regarding that crappy shop in Aurora, CO.

Originally posted by Erik G:
Am I just overreacting or do I have a reason to be upset?

No, you did the right thing. I often wish I had the balls to walk out on a deal rather than put up with some folk's crap. Not that it really matters, but you weren't buying hamburger. Even at $5.99lb, that's a few bucks you were about to spend there. Congratulations on doing the right thing.

Erik-

Do you have access to a Costco in Modesto? I swear by all of their beef and pork products. We have been buying the family Xmas roast there every year for quite some time. Excellent, choice grade beef. If you can get to one, I'd highly recommend heading over there. My Costco here in Redwood City still had a huge bin full of 3-12 bone roasts to choose from.

Merry Xmas!

R

Thanks Rich, that's where I ended up picking it out. I believe it was 7.29/lb and the marbling looked absolutly amazing. Are you planning on making rib roast also? If so, have you decided on the recipe?

Erik

Erik:

Yep, rib roast has been on the Christmas plate for my family for as long as I can remember! I use Alton Brown's method which I have heard described elsewhere as a "reverse sear."

Cook it at 200-225 degrees until the roast is about 118 degrees internal. Pull it out of the grill (or oven)and cover it with foil, crank your grill (or oven) up to 500-550 degrees. Remove the foil and put the roast back in for 15 minutes or so to sear/crisp it up all the way around. This should result in a roast that is evenly cooked to rare/med rare all the through the roast. I like this method because the slow cooking gets rid of the issue of cooking the ends past where I want them to get the middle where it should be.

Check out foodtv.com, you should be able to find Alton's recipe there. Just ignore the whole flower pot thing..... unless you want to try that, too!!
icon_wink.gif

Hope yours turns out well!

Rich

Back