Safe to Store Charcoal in Plastic Shed?

MichaelLC

TVWBB Pro
So this is a domestic debate, please tread carefully, :oops:

Just bought a plastic/resin shed that's about 4x5x3' to store kids toys and grilling stuff outside vs garage.

There is concern it will get too hot in the shed and ignite the charcoal. Not storing any bag light stuff, just regular KBB. Midwest, temps in garage get to about 90F. The shed will be in pretty direct sun most of the day.

Is that a valid concern, or not really? Appreciate especially if anyone has first hand experience. Thanks!

Think of it this way: it's less flammable than paper. If it's safe to store paper out there, it's safe for charcoal.

Remember, too, that you need heat, oxygen, and fuel to sustain a fire — but you also need an ignition source to get it started. If there's nothing to ignite the fuel, fire will not happen.

I would be more concerned with keeping it dry and away from the high humidity. Most charcoal bags will keep it dry if tightly closed.

Last edited:
I see a,
She said a she shed
In your future.

Kidding aside, you may need something bigger if there are a lot or toys or bikes, and this is the main storage.

Oh yeah there's no room for bikes or much else, but that's the biggest we (I) can get.

We could put a bigger thing out in the back half but that'd need a slab and then we'd be looking at it everytime we looked out the window.

This size is fine as long as I can get all the grilling stuff and kid's outside toys in there.

I've been storing all of my grilling fuels, including various fire starters, charcoal, wood pellets, chips, chunks and small branches in a plastic shed for years without a problem. I'm in the high desert of Western Nevada and the temperature inside the shed often tops 110 degrees.

Read the 99 pages of warning that come in the directions with the shed. I'm willing to bet that none of them mention anything about stuff bursting into flames.

Ha, thanks for the comments so far.

Sounds like it won't be a problem. I didn't think it would be, but I couldn't say 100% so wanted to check.

I'll pop my Thermoworks Drop in there to see what we get as far as temps. What's everyone's guess for max? Hanging in garage it recorded high of 91, low of 19F.

Back