S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by John Ford:
Finished mine. Lots of fun! Geared mine for tailgating, can use 3 racks for wings, ABT's, moink balls etc.can cone down to 2 racks for chickens or 1 rack for ribs.
Didn't like "grill paint" so used engine enamel.
Liked the color "FORD RED"

John you hit the nail on the head, LOTS OF FUN!!! Looks good bro'. How about some shots of the internals, racks, water pan, etc...

And are you planning on standing your ribs up on the end to cooke them? If so one might be able to do 8 racks that way...

Jay

Gearing my cooker for tailgating, not long cooks. Kept the bottom in will use plant bottom for home, HD foil for tailgating. The SJG & the pot bottom will hold all the grates, charcoal, smoking chips etc in an easily transportable package.

97405636.jpg

Good Stuff John. I thought about just drilling holes but was afraid it wouldn't be enough air getting to the coals from the top. Definitely interested in how that works out. I will say this. Having that solid piece on the bottom is good and bad. Its good in that the structure is solid. Its bad because when I want to bring the pan in the house I have a hot scorching spot to contend with.

Seems I can't leave well enough alone. I picked up a brinkman water pan. If all goes well I will cut the bottom out of my cooker and use that instead of the brick.

Pics tomorrow after the mod.

I think the main problem with the solid bottom is it limits the amount of charcoal & shortens the burn time.
The advantage is I can run three cooking racks, & use the pot as a carrier. I can load the pot with racks, charcoal, wood chunks,etc put the lid on & strap with a bungee & have easily transportable tailgating smoker.
I may buy a second pot & gear for long & slow , use same SJ .

John, that's a good lookin' smoker right there!! Like the red color...I'm really interested to see how the paint holds up over time (I've used the high temp spray paint before...seems to fade even though it's temp rating hasn't been exceeded).

Post some pics of your rib cook. I'd be very interested to see how that as well.

Congrats on a fine build!

John,

Those ribs look awsome. I did a rib and abt cook on mine today, and I can do 6 racks of ribs easy with the 3 racks. I cut the racks of ribs in half, and put 4 halves on each rack.

What made today's cook kinda cool was that I put the ribs in for an hour, and then I put the ABTs on the top two racks for two hours. And let the ribs finish up in the last hour.

Been trying to upload some shots but picasa isn't cooperating. Doing lots of ribs and a but just got super easy. And checking the fire by just lifting the pot up is GREAT, (I feel like all the hot air stays in the top.
icon_smile.gif
)

J

John, looks good. A greate idea (hanging those ribs).

From the pics is looks like some were darker...I assume these were the ends of the racks closest to the bottom, and the heat. True? Did you find the "bottoms" of the racks to be as tasty as the "tops?"

I'm intrigued by this method. May have to try it myself. Thanks for posting the pics!!

We had 3 extras show up for supper & 2 pieces were heated frozen . there was little difference from top to bottom.

Does anyone know when the Cajun Bandit one will be for sale. I have been holding out building one myself to see how much his goes for. Thanks

Ron

Ron, I'd contact the Cajun Bandit folks directly. Let them know you're interested.

I've seen the prototype in action. Works like a champ! Very well built. You can see several threads in Q-talk on the Brethren website.

It's been a while since I posted on this thread, but I just wanted to check in because I used my mini this weekend. Every time I use it, I'm amazed at how well it does it's job.

imageadt.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-11-19

imagewwg.jpg

By hogsfan at 2010-11-19

This cook was just a basic roast beef for sammiches. My first attempt at roast beef but I was very pleased.

I'm hoping to make a rib roast for the holidays. We are traveling, but I think this grill is up for a road trip.
icon_smile.gif
It's like it was made for it!

Here is the Cajun Bandit Mini SJS conversion prototype.
IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

Vent handle mod by me
IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg

I can't believe how well this performs-let alone me cooking on a Smokey Joe!

My family gave me lots of grief about he colors of my mini nick naming the " dirty bird"
So to keep peace in my family of Saints fans I repainted in black & gold.

299aa7bc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back