Not open for further replies.
just got back from my local walmart...they still have these in stock $23.97

i am buying the parts tomorrow to start my next project

finished my the other day...finished painting it today

t5rk2u.jpg

cooked on it last night

2hdv4g7.jpg

2vs1agg.jpg

Looks good Jeff. Any pictures of the inside? How many grates? What did you use for the diffuser/drip pan?

j

Originally posted by JHunter:
Looks good Jeff. Any pictures of the inside? How many grates? What did you use for the diffuser/drip pan?

j

i have two cooking grates. a replacement cooking grate and the original tamale insert.

i put a grate on top of the cut out so i could have a place to rest my diffusers. i used the cut out piece of aluminum, bent it a little and wrapped in heavy foil as well as a terracotta plate.

you can see that i have an option of having 3 racks...going to try using a waterpan next time and as well as the 3rd rack..this is going to be a perfect poultry,abt and fatty maching
25tcoeu.jpg

Originally posted by dksmith17:
I don't have a jigsaw. Has anyone used a skill saw to cut out the bottom of their Tamale pot? Will this work?

no a skill saw is too big...you can use a pair of aviation snips like i did..drilled a hole then cut out

you want to keep the bottom lip on it for a tighter fit

Question for those of you that mounted a pit thermo on the center section-

How accurate is it? Have you monitored grate temps along with it?

I considered it, but went with a temp gauge in the lid vent.

Pros/Cons?

On my Mini BDS Clone I mounted a thermo at the grate level and it seemed like a waste as it is a direct cooker.

I would say its pretty accurate depending on your thermometer. I am not interersted in REAL temperatures at the meat. I just need something to tell me what's going on inside the smoker/cooker. So I prefer the mount on the lid, you get TWO benefits of doing it that way.

One: You know the absolute temp of your environment as the hot air will collect at the top.

Two: When you take the lid off and want to use the Smokey Joe as a grill you STILL have the thermometer on the lid where you can use it.

FYI: I had the thermo in the center and moved it, now I have a small hole to put my thermo probe into...
icon_smile.gif

Jay

i mounted one on the side, i like it better..i like knowing what the temperature is at grate level. i like to be able to control the heat at grate level.. the dome temp to me doesnt really matter because i am not cooking at dome level..just my opinion.

my thermometers are accurate as i test them and will always do so.

the bds/uds/wsm/ecb/smokers that heat under food all work on the same principal.

Not sure why, but I got the $15 tamale pot from Amazon.com. I had no interest in building a mini-smoker, but there it was and I clicked "buy". Guess it will be my spring project.

Originally posted by Lew:
Not sure why, but I got the $15 tamale pot from Amazon.com. I had no interest in building a mini-smoker, but there it was and I clicked "buy". Guess it will be my spring project.

Not sure why I'm thinking of cutting the bottom off my Mini BDS clone and sticking it on a SJS?

Probably has something to do with the awesome cooks I've been doing lately with the Cajun Bandit Smoker Joe! And the sad thing is I'm neglecting my BGE's and they are not happy with that!

Loaded up my Mini with as much charcoal with 3 wood chunks as would fit. Got 8+ hours on 1 load! Cooked a butt &'turned out great.
The important bout 8+ hours is you can get a good nite sleep on an overnite cook.
I'm not suggesting a mini be your only smoker, but if you only need small cooks it could be.

ce785277.jpg

Originally posted by John Ford:
Loaded up my Mini with as much charcoal with 3 wood chunks as would fit. Got 8+ hours on 1 load! Cooked a butt &'turned out great.
The important bout 8+ hours is you can get a good nite sleep on an overnite cook.
I'm not suggesting a mini be your only smoker, but if you only need small cooks it could be.

What was the temperature outside when you got the 8 hour burn? And what was your start method?

Outside temp ranged from mid 30's @ start to high 50's @ finish with a 10 mph wind.
Lit about 20 briquettes & put in corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back