S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
Just curious if there is a temp between the center (side mounted) thermometer and the lid mounted thermometer?:

I’m a little ashamed to admit that I haven’t christened the mini yet. Once I do, I’ll be happy to post on the temp variance.

Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
Just curious if there is a temp between the center (side mounted) thermometer and the lid mounted thermometer? Again, just curious.
Thanks,
Tim
mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim there definitely is a temp difference. The top is much cooler than the middle section. Top rareley gets above 200 degrees while the middle will get and stay at 250... And the bottom is probably as hot as 300 degrees (but I haven't measured, I just know that its hotter closer to the fire).

Mid section is the right place for the thermometer

J, thanks for the info. I have been looking for just the right thermometer to mount on the side of my mini, and the one Johnny and Steve are using is just the one I have been waiting for! I have been dropping inserting the BBQ temp probe of my ET 732 through the lamp tubing, but I just love the look of the side mounted thermometer. Gonna take the mini to it's first tailgate at the App State game this Saturday evening and then again at the Panthers/Packers game Sunday! Again, the beauty of this smoker is it's perfect size for travel and ease of use!!!
Thanks again,
Tim
Mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

FYI,
You can't link to another website that requires you to have a username and password.
Read the FaQ's on how to post pics.
I took the liberty of posting your pic.
AJ

DSC_0154.jpg

Hello everyone. I'm going to start building my mini wsm this week. I have a SJS and i got the imusa pot that's made in china. It fits perfect in the sjs but the lid doesn't quite fit on top. Did anyone crimp around the top of the steamer pot to get the lid to sit on it perfectly? I'm not sure what to do. Any help is appreciated.

I'll be the lip around the lid is too big its not an out of round issue. Strange this is the same imusa 32qt tamale steamer i've read about. It's about a 1/2 in too big around in diameter for the lid of my SJS. Instead of fooling with it I'm going to try to return it and get another pot. I'm just not sure why its bigger. Weird.

What are the recommended heights for the grill racks in the IMUSA steamer? I got one at Walmart yesterday for my SJS.

All I could find were 18.5 weber charcoal grates at lowe's and home depot. Will these be ok to use as cooking grates also? They are almost the same diameter as the smokey joe cooking grate.

Originally posted by Al Ramirez III:
All I could find were 18.5 weber charcoal grates at lowe's and home depot. Will these be ok to use as cooking grates also? They are almost the same diameter as the smokey joe cooking grate.

That's what I used. The only caveat is that they rust faster than stainless steel.

Originally posted by JHunter:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al Ramirez III:

That's what I used. The only caveat is that they rust faster than stainless steel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got the bottom cut out, holes drilled and painted it. Kind of a crappy paint job but it was getting dark and I was impatient but I think it will work out great. I cut the whole bottom out and will use one of the 18.5 charcoal grates to set my 9" pie plate which will be my diffuser. Hopefully it works out ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back