S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just guestimated what I wanted to cook, two buts. I think my distances are from the steamer wring to the 2nd rack 5" from the second rack to the top 4-5". The third rack sits almost flush with the top, and that gives me about 2-3" of clearance under the lid.

One thing you need to know regarding three levels is that the top mounted screws will need to be shorter than bottom mounted screws. Otherwise you will have an issue putting in the racks.

Jay

ok cool. thanks guys. I mostly cook chicken parts and whol chickens. I like ribs and butts so its a varity of things. BUT, since i only cook for 3 people, my parents and i, pork buts are usaully 3 to 4 pounds boneless. that will feed us a day or two. haha.

The most loical way for me to do this is to leave a 1 inch lip a the bottom of the steamer. Then add the grate/steamer tray and my pie tin.

I will have the middle rack bout 4.5 inches from the top of the steamer and the bottom rack 5 inches below that. those are close dimensions since i do not have me steamer yet.

thnaks

Got my steamer today. the box says made in china so im hoping its the right one.

A question though. Some say to use the steamer rack that came with it to hold the pie pan. That means the pie pan is 3 inches from the base of the steamer because of that lip that holds the steamer try. It that where the pie pan should go is 3 inches from the base of the Steamer?

basically, where shuld i put my diffuser at if i want 3 cooking grates?

Im still kinda lost at where things go. thanks

what if i were to drill holes in the bottom of the steamer and then put my pie tin on that? will that diffuse the heat enough?

thanks

Matt, I'm right there with ya! I stopped at wal-mart yesterday, and bought 2 steamers, but before I cut anything, I want to make sure I know exactly where everything is supposed to go!I have some ideas that I haven't seenon this thread yet, if they work, pics will soon follow!Good luck, I can't wait to get this thing together!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Matt I put mine (difuser) right on the steamer pan after drilling as many holes as I could in it and cutting the bottom out of the pot.

One disadvantage is less space for the racks but an advantage is you will be able to fit more coals which should result in a hotter and longer burn time.

If you want though you can try it out by just drilling holes in the bottom of the pot and see if that works for you before cutting out the pot bottom.

John

the bottom of the steamer is roughly 13 inches in diameter. the top of the steamer, for the lid, is roughly 14 to 14.5 inches.

@ john:

thanks for the info. I might do it the way you did. i can always find a way to make a third rack fit somehow.

thanks

Look at this post, its buried in this thread, but it should give you a good idea about how much space is needed, etc...

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...271022595#7271022595

If you look at my posts I take pictures of most of my cooks, and you can see where everything fits. Look at my post where I cooked wings. That will show you how I did a cook with 3 racks.

Bottom line is my lowest rack is at the lip where the steamer lid is located. The next rack is half way between the top of the lid, and the last is on right at the top. Also notice how the very top screws are much shorter than the other screws.

Don't over think this thing. Once you cut the bottom out, you are 2/3rds there. The rest is just drilling holes, and tightening about 12 screws. Paint/thermo are optional.

Just have fun with it...

Question, if you do not cut out the bottom of the pot, (and only drill holes.) if you place the difuser on the bottom of the pot, wouldn't that negate the effectiveness of the holes directly beneath the difuser? This project seems pretty simple and straight forward, I just wonder if I am "over thining" this one.

Couple of thoughts...

If you cut holes in the bottom you don't need a diffuser... the bottom diffuses the heat. The extra pie plate would serve to catch drippings.

I did something similar at first, but I like having the hole and the clay pot (or pie plate) to difuse the heat.

I think you are over thinking it... This is just like BBQ, its different for everyone. The important part is that you build something. If you don't like it adjust. That's what I did, and now I am cooking good food.

Jay

Jay! when you say cut holes, do you mean drill holes or cut out sections of metal like yours? i do want a pie plate in mine!

Also, i noticed you lit about a 1/3 od lump and dumped it right in the center. Do you ever spread it all over the unlit or do you keep it in a dang pile?

With me UDS, if i use 1/3 to a 1/2 of lump, it sky rockets to like 350

I think im gonna drill holes and place a pie tin at the bottom so i can get at least three grates in there.

ill drill 3/4 or 1/2 inch holes all over the two "edges" and then place a dang pie tin in there to catch drippings. maybe add some apple juice and water to the pie pan as well

thanks guys

Matt,

I did quite a few things with my cooker. I have cut the bottom all the way out now. I use the clay pot to difuse the heat. I drilled holes in the side of the lip where the steamer lid is. I used long screws to hold the dish up. I rest the 1st grill grate on that.

Regarding the fuel, I have always started the fire with a small amount of fuel. I should try it with a full can of lump to see if the temp stays up.

I also want to try a pie plate to see if I get higher temps. I going to do a chuck roast this weekend. We will see how it goes...

Matt, take lots of pics and post them.

Jay

thanks Jay.

Im thinking of just cuttin the bottom out now and placing a grate there and the pie tin on that. Then the first cooking rack ontop of the steamer tray holder and then the other two above that. Well see how it goes. thanks guys.

Matt,

Sorry to keep harping on this, but have you had a chance to try your pot on a SJS/SJG to see if it fits sufficiently well? I hope it does, but the diameter seems a bit short.

Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
Question, if you do not cut out the bottom of the pot, (and only drill holes.) if you place the difuser on the bottom of the pot, wouldn't that negate the effectiveness of the holes directly beneath the difuser? This project seems pretty simple and straight forward, I just wonder if I am "over thining" this one.

Tim, correct if you drill out the pot bottom and use the bottom to hold a drip catcher (pie pan) then you want to only drill out the exterior of the pot bottom and makes sure the pie pan is about 11 inches or smaller. Mine is about 10.75 so that leaves space around the pie pan for smoke to move up, just like a WSM.

John

sorry for the late reply.

George, i have not yet. My SJG will not show up untill monday. I double checked the box and it is for sure the one made in chine. The diameter on the top, where the lid of the sjg will go, is 14 inches or so. The bottom is close to 14. hard to get an accurate reading with the tape since the steamer has a rounded edge. i sure hope it fits. ill be frustrated if not. haha. to bad they dont make a 22.5 inch diameter pot. then i can turn my weber kettle into a dang WSM, oh wait, i have a UDS. never mind

Ok, so now for the BIG question, SJS, or SJG? I have read that both are the best way to go! I can purchase the silver at Lowes for $29, or I can ordere the gold from Amazon for $33 (to the door). It will be used as a smoker only, and not a grill. I read the main flaw for the silver is the ash build up over the vent holes in the bottom. If I were to go with the silver, my plan is to cut the steamer tray in such a way so it would lay over the vents and hopefully deflect some of the ash off the vents.
If I go with the gold, having the vents on the side means no need to try to shield the vents (from ash build up).
Is the gold worth the few extra dollars and few days wait, or should I just go to the store and buy the Silver tomorrow?
icon_confused.gif

Thanks in advance, Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back