S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim,

Go with the gold. For just $4 more, it will save you a lot of hassle.

If you already had a silver I would say just use it, and don't spend the money. But the $4 premium is worth it for the easy of ash handling...

(I have used both, and its no contest).

i bought the aluminum imusa 32 quart made in china steamer! thats the one right?

thanks

dont worry jay, i purchased the gold

Ok guys, here we go!!!
After I cut the bottom ring cut out, I cut out flanges for the difuser to rest on and drilled a hole in each flange.(to increase air/smoke flow)
IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

The steamer turned upside down to show the flanges.
IMG_1461.jpg

I trimmed the steamer plate to use as my difuser.
Plate before I trimmed it.
IMG_1462.jpg

The trimmed steamer plate.
IMG_1463.jpg

I tried to get a pic to show the difuser resting on the raised flanges. Placing the difuser on the raised flanges creates about 3/4" of space between the bottom of the pot and the difuser.(I hope this is sufficeint for the heat/smoke to flow through.)
IMG_1465.jpg

Here is the difuser wrapped in foil and laying on the flanges.
IMG_1466.jpg

I don't know if the foiled steameer tray will be sufficeint by itself as a difuser. My plan is to buy a terra cotta saucer and foil it, but I thought I may give this a try. I plan on only installing 2 racks, as I think that is all I will need. The bottom rack will rest on the indented ring of the steamer pot, and the top rack about six /eight inches higher.
I just oredered my SJ Gold off Amazon this afternoon, using the link from this sight. My wife had a deal (since we also purchased a book for my son) and it brought the total price down to around $25! It should get here by Friday! So far, I have about $45 invested. I still have to buy a thermometer, the 2nd grate, and the mounting screws (for the cooking grate), and possibly a terra cotta saucer. I will post pics as this progresses, I hope to have it completed by this weekend, and have it in use on Saturday!
Thanks for all the help!!
Tim
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Good stuff tim!!! I did a six hour cook today ruined the meat but i got six hours on one load of stubbs charcoal.

Originally posted by george curtis:
how did you ruin the meat ? what was it ?

George,

It was a chuck roast i let go fo six hours. I didn't use the flower pot just themeat sitting in an aluminum pan. The bottom was burned but i put the meat int a pan with water and it was edible. We made tacos out of the meat.

Jay

Tim mine with a SJG, will happily chug along on briquittes for 8-9 hours with temp ranging from 225F to 250F, with out touching.

Originally posted by John Ford:
Tim mine with a SJG, will happily chug along on briquittes for 8-9 hours with temp ranging from 225F to 250F, with out touching.

I agree with this 100% I still had enough charcoal to go for another hour, and I could have put more charcoal in, AND it was about 20-30 degrees most of the cook.

I am really wondering how much meat you can cook in the 18 and 22 WSMs... probably enough to feed an entire army.

Thanks guys, I know I will be happy waiting the extra couple days for the SJ Gold. My Question now is, where can I find the extra grate/s I will need? I think I saw where someone bought them at academy sports, but alass, there isn't one nearby. I have a bass pro and a gander mtn, but no academy. Any sugguetions?
Thanks again, Tim

Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
Thanks guys, I know I will be happy waiting the extra couple days for the SJ Gold. My Question now is, where can I find the extra grate/s I will need? I think I saw where someone bought them at academy sports, but alass, there isn't one nearby. I have a bass pro and a gander mtn, but no academy. Any sugguetions?
Thanks again, Tim

For my extra grates I used the charcoal grate from a weber 18" grill. I actually like these better than the standard grates because they are heavier duty and appear to season more easily...

The are also just a bit smaller than the standard grate so they go into the steamer body much easier than the standard grate.

Jay

I ordered a spare grate when I ordered the SJG from Amazon with free shipping, but I have seen them at ACE Hardware stores for not much more money.

Mini Bullet:
For those wanting to add a third cooking rack, or desire more clearance on the top rack, one way to gain about 2-3 inches more space is to cut the rolled top ring off the top of the steamer, then use the bottom of a donor SJS for the top lid, with a handle from a Genie garage door handle. It is a perfect fit. I mounted the top grill rack on the very top of the barrel, since there is a lot more room in the oval shaped base of the SJS. I mounted an Academy accessory rack on the very bottom of the steamer, since it is small enough to slip past the steamer indention, to hold the ceramic disk. The bottom cooking rack is set on top of the indention, then one could mount a center rack. The distance from the very top vent to the rack mounted on the indent is 15.5". I used an angle grinder with a thin abrasive disc to cut the ring off the steamer, smoothed the cut edge with a mill file and another disc. If anyone wants photos or additional details, send me a personal email.

LDean

LDean

any pics Ldean?

So your saying to take the charcoal part of another SJS and use that as a dang lid?

genius!

thanks man

UGGGHHHH! I just checked the status of my order on Amazon and my SJ Gold hasn't even been shipped out yet!! It's original expected delivery date was feb. 4th, now I'm not so sure. (did I mention that patients has <span class="ev_code_RED">NEVER</span> been a strong point of mine?)
I went to Lowes today and picked up a 12" terra cotta saucer for around $8. At wal mart they were $6.50, but out of stock. I wish I knew someone with a SJ that I could borrow if mine doesn't get here by Sat.!
UGGGHHH!!!
icon_eek.gif

So my SGJ showed up today. The pot fits perfectly on the shelf that holds the cooking grate in the SJG. So i assume you dont put the SJG cooking grate in the SJG? My guess is that you use that as the actual cooking grate in the steamer pot right?

Basically, the only grate that goes IN the SJG is the charcoal grate?

thanks

Here are some of the pics Larry described above... I find the mini egg the cutest little thing out there for smoking meat.

DSCF0312.JPG

DSCF0313.JPG

DSCF0266.JPG

DSCF0260.JPG

DSCF0255.JPG

Originally posted by Matt T:
So my SGJ showed up today. The pot fits perfectly on the shelf that holds the cooking grate in the SJG. So i assume you dont put the SJG cooking grate in the SJG? My guess is that you use that as the actual cooking grate in the steamer pot right?

Basically, the only grate that goes IN the SJG is the charcoal grate?

thanks

Right only the charcoal grate is in the SJG. I used the grill grate as my top most grill in my smoker.

Jay

IM SOOOOOOO EXCITED NOW. i have it mostly put together. Now i want to buy a SJS for the lid but for now, ill work with what i have. haha

thanx guys.

ill post pic soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back