S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by brady martin:
dang, i wish i had seen this thread before i got the wsm as i only cook for 3 to 4 people tops.
I wouldn't sweat that. I have a Mini and a 18 1/2" WSM and I like both. The mini is great when I want to do a chicken or two for SWMBO and myself, but when I want to smoke a whole pork loin or large turkey, the regular WSM fits the bill.

And besides, the mini is somewhat experimental while the WSM is a tried and true design. I suggest that you get a couple smokes on the WSM under your belt and then consider a mini.

-walt

Ok guys - gotta get ready for church, then afterward, I'll be in the basement with my Dremmel tool and my tamale pot.

I can't let you guys get ahead of me!

Anybody paint the tamale pot with grill paint? I've got a bunch of cans of grill paint that I had intended to use for a Ducane gasser rehab project that I scrapped a while back.

Pat

As long as your grill paint says it is not suitable for aluminum, you should be good to go.
I painted my ash catcher on my OTG with some HH Rust-Oleum and it has held up for quite a while.

Tim

yea !! i went out to see if the pot i got really fit. man does it fit. it fits like it was designed for the sj. fits in the bowl tight and rests on the grate lip. the lid fits very nicely on the pot lid with very little play. so now i will cut the bottom out but i will do it like michael did it leaving the lower bottom curve on. so now to cut it and add the supports for the grates. the sj grate fits so well also.
the brand is bene casa, 32 qt.

I got the bottom of mine cut out today. I had to finish the project with some tin snips when my (new) Dremmell gave out with about three inches of the botton left to cut. No worries - the snips did a good job.

I put 1 inch 1/4 dia bolts in to support the grates. I put in two sets of bolts for two grates. There is 5 inches of clearance between the top grate and the lid and about 6 inches of clearance between the top and the bottom grate.

I haven't decided how to do the bottom of the mid-section for the clay saucer I plan to use in lieu of a water pan.

NOW, I have a question for you guys: which variation of the Smokey Joe works best for this project? I have the SJ Silver, with one bottom Daisy Wheel vent, I have the SJ Gold, with the large vents on the side, and I have a "vintage" SJ that has three vents on the botton, a la BBQ Kettle.

I am thinking that either the SJ Gold or the three vent set up would be best, but the SJ Silver already is assembled and has been used a bit so I suspect that the maiden cook will be on that one.

Thanks for the encouragement to get off my butt and get the smoker put together- pics will follow when we get a decent day, weather wise.

Pat

pat, seein how you got all three, i humbly ask that you do the testing and let us know. i got only the sjs so that's what i will be using. i most likely will use lump so i doubt ash will be a problem.

Originally posted by Pat Smith:
NOW, I have a question for you guys: which variation of the Smokey Joe works best for this project? I have the SJ Silver, with one bottom Daisy Wheel vent, I have the SJ Gold, with the large vents on the side, and I have a "vintage" SJ that has three vents on the botton, a la BBQ Kettle.
The one I have has a large disk centered on the bottom (Silver?) I use briquettes and find that I need to occasionally knock ash out of the holes. That's easily enough done so I don't find it a problem. I suppose the fact that I do stuff like chicken and salmon in it mitigates that too. I'm not typically using it for those long smokes like when I do pulled pork.

George - that is an assignment I readily will accept! I bought a small butt at Piggly Wiggly today and if the weather cooperates tomorrow, I'll smoke it in Mini-Me while I cook two pork loins on big brother. I've got the SJS ready to go, so I'll try that first.

I fear, however, that the weather is going to drive me to the edge of my garage and my GOSM for the pork loins and delay the Mini-Me debut until the weekend.

One problem of having so many smokers is to keep them in rotation so none of them get jealous!

I'll be using lump, too, so I don't think ash will be a problem. If it is, I have a 14 inch grate - smaller than the SJ grate - that I bought at Academy for $3. It sits in the SJ bowl but about an inch and a half higher than the stock charcoal grate. I'll put three 3/4 x 1/4 bolts in the bowl with some wing nuts and put the other grate there as a charcoal grate to give more clearance underneath the grate.

I'll let you know!

Pat

I used a piece of expanded metal placed on top of the charcoal grate. The purpose of this was to make sure that only small pieces might fall through to help prevent the bottom vent on the SJS from becoming clogged.

The old style Smokey Joe with the three vents sounds very promising. It would be even more like a miniature WSM. I do not think the gold would work well as most people have to do the vent mod for it in order to get better airflow. then again perhaps it might provide the best airflow for the lower temps needed for a smoker.

I usually use Stubbs charcoal which has a pretty low ash ratio. Fortunately so far in my smokes I have not had a issue yet. However I do anticipate there will be some in longer burns 7+ hours, which the reason for the design of the ash scraper. Still working on how to mount that inside the SJS so that when I open and close the bottom vent it will push out used ash.

Forgot to mention, that with some of the scrap from the bottom of the steamer pot, you can create a handle to attach to the bottom vent. I got tired of almost burning myself. The handle also helps by giving me a idea of how open the bottom vent is without getting down on my hands and knees and looking.

Again, thanks everyone for the idea. So far I am really enjoying this little smoker. Working on getting ribs more consistent, I need a lot more practice.

First Cook on my WSM Mini Conversion

OK, George assigned me the task of trying the Mini Conversion with each of the three different "flavors" of Smokey Joes that I have in my collection - a Smokey Joe Silver (One daisy wheel bottom center vent), a Smokey Joe Gold (no bottom vent - two side vents on either side of the top of the charcoal bowl) and a old style Smokey Joe (three daisy wheel vents on the bottom of the charcoal bowl, arranged like the WSM).

Today, I did my first cook with the Mini and used my Smokey Joe Silver since it was assembled and on the patio.

The main reason for the cook this afternoon was to cook two whole pork loins for an office party tonight - the loins were cut into three pieces each and I put three pieces of pork loin on each of the two grates of my 18" WSM.

The Mini cook was a "mini" Boston butt - about 3.7 lbs, boneless, that I got at the Piggly Wiggly for 99 cents a pound. If the cook didn't turn out, I could stand to lose the investment in the butt.

I filled the charcoal bowl about 2/3 full of Royal Oak lump. I didn't have a charcoal ring so the charcoal was just distributed evenly across the bottom of the bowl on top of the charcoal grate and a second SJ charcoal grate on top of it at a 90 degree angle.

I fired up the center of the charcoal using my weed burner and let the lit area get hot, and then assembled the smoker. The butt was to cook on the top grate, and a foiled 11.25" clay saucer sat on top of the bottom grate. The bottom vent was open about half way, and the top vent was open about 2/3.

The temp rose pretty steadily and leveled off at about 250 - pretty much the same progression that was going on with big brother next door.

I put the mini butt, seasoned with a basic salt, pepper, garlic powder, chipotle powder and chili powder rub, on the Mini at noon.

The temperatures held steady for about 3 hours and this was looking like any other WSM cook. However at 3 hours, the temps started to dip down to about 225. I opened the bottom vents to full and the top vent to full and the temps went back up - close to 300 - so I had decided to ease them back down a bit by closing the bottom vent slightly.

This is where it would come in really handy to use a carriage bolt to put a handle on the bottom vent and to mark on the bowl the vent positions for OPEN, CLOSED, 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4.

Temps held steady for about 45 minutes longer at 250, then started to drop again down to 225. I sat the mid-section and top off the bowl (this was much easier than with the grown up WSM) and checked where I was with my charcoal. I still had plenty of fuel, but it looked like the bottom vents were clogged with ash. I used the "poker" from my fire pit to knock away some of the ash from the bottom up and the vent holes were cleared. This got me steady temperatures for the rest of the cook. The temps went up to the 275 - 280 range but I didn't bother messing with it because it was just to hard to figure out how open the vents were.

At about 4:30, my probe alarm sounded that the butt was at 185. I already had decided that if it would get to slicing temperature, I would pull it and take it to the office party along with the pork loins.

After resting, I sliced the butt at the party and arranged the pork loin - sliced thin for sandwiches - in an oval along the outside of a serving platter and placed the sliced butt in the middle.

The meat was served with slider rolls and four different sauces - a tart sauce, a sweet sauce, Big Bob Gibson's White sauce and a Chipotle Mayo that I mix up that is killer with pork loin.

Since I would have let the butt go another couple of hours or so had I not had to leave for the party, it was just starting to form a nice bark, but there were several tasty,barky pieces for the cook as the butt got sliced. The meat itself had a modest smoke ring from the hickory and peach wood I used for the smoke, and it had a light, sweet smoky taste to it.

When I left, I left the smoker vents open. I checked the smoker when I got back home around 9 and as expected the smoker was cold. When I checked, all but a handful of the lump had burned.

All in all, I would describe cooking on the Mini as "fun." Something of a novelty, perhaps, but the smoker did a very credible job. I can see working especially well with shorter duration cooks like chickens, wings and baby back ribs. For longer cooks, you will have to figure out how to combat the as build up.

I am thinking about using a charcoal ring fashioned from a cake pan - the kind with the hole in the middle - that will sit over the bottom vent. If ash does build up, it is an easy matter to lift the middle section, pick up the pan, and dump it in an ash barrel, then go right to smoking - about a minute's time perhaps.

I would rate the BBQ from the Mini as about a 7 (not a KCBS 7 - but a 7 on a real 1 - 10 scale). It would have benefited from a little more time on the smoker, but I hadn't had sliced butt in a while and it was very credible.

I would rate cooking on the Mini as a solid 8. It was fun, performed well, was relatively to use (points off for not being able to determine where the bottom vent was when it was being adjusted), and produced a credible product.

Before my next cook, I'll add a carriage bolt to the bottom vent for ease of adjustment and mark the openings on the bowl of the SJS so I know what the bottom vent setting is. I'll also figure out some way to either cut down on the ash dropping to the bottom of the cooker and clogging the vent, or some way to easily empty the bowl of ask during the cook.

Next up, the Smokey Joe Gold.

Here is a picture of the two Weber's side by side:

Me and Mini Me

Pat

Originally posted by Pat Smith:
First Cook on my WSM Mini Conversion
Hi Pat,
Thanks for the detailed report on your experience with the mini.

I have pretty much the same experience with ash covering the bottom vent holes using briquettes.

I also use mine to try out different smoking woods. I can make a chicken (or maybe someday a smaller piece of pork or beef) with a single smoking wood to get some idea how it will contribute to flavor. I don't care to commit an entire smoke in a regular WSM to this sort of experiment.

-walt

Great Job Pat!

I cooked on mine for the first time today. Just sliced up some hot pork sausage, covered it in rub, and cooked it for about an hour. It was so nice to finally get to see this thing get hot.

I agree, the main improvements would come from controlling air flow and ash buildup. Adding a handle for the vents and marking the bowl for open, closed, half, etc.

In your case, the problem should be easily solved by using the old smokey joe with three separate vents.

I am going to mount a handle on the bottom vent dial, and mark the bowl for air control. Also, I used 4 halved bricks to hold the fire. next time it will be three... Possibly two. I would like to be able to put the clay saucer directly atop the bricks to leave more room above for potential cooking grates.

Like Pat, I had fun in the short amount of time spent cooking on the mini. It was really cool to be able to easily lift everything off the fire if needed.

Thank you LDean!

Congrats Pat, and to all of you that have built a Mini!

Just what I needed, another must do project!
icon_smile.gif

It seems that ash build up is the main problem.

I haven't used a lot of lump, but wondered if it would help to pick out just the larger pieces for loading.
Has anyone tried this?

It seems that ash build up is the main problem.
I would be reluctant to characterize it as a problem. It's just something you have to be aware of and prepared to deal with. As I monitor a smoke, I stick something into the holes to knock ash free to fall into the pan underneath (and don't give it a second thought.)

Pat, Walter, and Others:

Good report, Pat. I have been using the Gold model for about a year and have found it lacking. When using the SJG, be sure and place the charcoal opposite the side vent holes, not in front, or it will not burn well. Another problem with the SJG is that the side vents will not close off completely, letting in some air, when closed. I suspect the best model to use for a Mini conversion would be the SJG, modified by installing the SJS vent in the bottom. That would allow smoking, using the bottom vent, until it clogs, then opening up the side vents, to complete the cook. For long smokes, I also suspect it would would work much better with a charcoal ring, although I never got around to making one, since I have limited my smoking to 4 hours or less. I am looking for a donor SJS to do the bottom vent install. Will let you know how it works when I complete the modification.

I finally got to use my Mini WSM loaded up with a nice 8+ lb pork loin.

It was my son's first birthday, so you know what that means... RIBS!!!!

I made a few racks of babybacks on my 22" weber kettle. The Mini WSM came in really handy to free up the 22" for ribs only. I quartered the big pork loin. Placed two pieces on the center rack and the other two on the top rack. Closed the lid, and I didn't have to touch it till they were done.... Sliced up really nice and juicy.

It was great to be able to focus on the ribs and use my entire grill on the large kettle. The mini was really efficient and gave a great apple wood flavor with very few wood chips.

Technical Note: Earlier I posted that I used 4 halved bricks to contain the fire and hold the glazed saucer diffuser. I took out two of the half bricks, and it worked much better with more space for coals.

Our guests loved the BBQ. Who doesn't like good BBQ in January?

My boy loved the ribs! I made a sweet glaze just for him to enjoy. Nice and messy.

Bill - I haven't had a chance to cook on wsm (lower case letters) since before Christmas until this afternoon. I don't know if I'll mount it on the SJG next or on the old SJ I've got that has the three vent configuration on the bottom.

Whichever, I'll let you know. In the meantime, I'm posting a couple of pics in a new thread of tonight's wings.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back