Rusty grate can I save it?

Ken I

TVWBB Member
This is the grate in a kettle I just picked up. It’s pretty rusty can I save it? If so, what is the best way to restore it?

I’d just heat it up, wire brush it and see what it looks like after a wipe down of some oil while it’s hot.
If it’s really bad, Amazon about $40.00 I just snagged a new center section for mine, the old one is getting on in years and the outer part has a delightful virtually nonstick coating of the last thing I cooked so, they don’t really have any rust.

Thanks Timothy I’ll try that. I see vinegars and baking sofa being used? This one is only 2 years old but looks like it was left out all winter.

That’s a good place to start. If you have a water heater pan (anything big enough really) I might try hot water and Dawn soaking in the sun for an afternoon, or morning if you can. If it is really bad, just get a fresh one, I drop the center out when I do wings with a Vortex.

That looks pretty rusty. If you don't have a water heater pan, you can try putting the grate in a large garbage bag, then soak it really well with an oven cleaner spray....close the bag, let it sit there for a day or so, then hose it off. Hit it really good with a wire brush. Let it dry, then spray with a cooking oil like Pam. See how it looks after that.

If it's really pitted and far gone, you might need to just buy a new one. The Weber one's are affordable. KillaGrilla makes some very heavy duty stainless steel grates that will probably last a lifetime, but are little pricey. Free shipping if you spend over $200.

Like Timothy mentioned, after you get them cleaned, take the center piece out if your using the charcoal baskets in the center or if using a Vortex. Both will burn up that center piece pretty quick.

Time is valuable too. Like Kyle said, it looks pretty rusty. So you might be investing significant time to clean that up. You might want to consider the other options...

If you are going to flip the grill, buy the least expensive replacement on Amazon (Weber #7435 $19.99);

If you plan on using the Vortex or GBS accessories, buy a new Weber GBS grate (Weber #8835 $44.99);

Otherwise, buy a new hinged, grate from Killa Grilla (KG6925 $79 + shipping) that will last a lifetime or Weber #7436 ($29.99) if you want to save some cash. I have Killa Grillas on my WSM 22 and I love them.

Last edited:
I agree J thanks. A lot of time and scrubbing and it will prob rust again in no time. I think for now I’ll just pick up a standard Weber plated hinged grate. Any pizza or other GBS stuff I can do on my gas grill.

That’s a good place to start. If you have a water heater pan (anything big enough really) I might try hot water and Dawn soaking in the sun for an afternoon, or morning if you can. If it is really bad, just get a fresh one, I drop the center out when I do wings with a Vortex.
Me too,, the heat will just damage the insert otherwise

I just cleaned out my garage and tossed out alot of old rusty grates like that for the scrap guys.
I thought about saving em and hitting with a wire wheel, but usually at the end of the grilling season, you can pick up new ones for cheap.

Tim

20 min at 700 degrees in n my gas grill. Brushed and oiled left overnight. Should I use/ keep it?

Attachments

• 71FE3353-BEF9-476D-AD83-9133280C22E6.jpeg
    71FE3353-BEF9-476D-AD83-9133280C22E6.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 39
Clean and scrub it. Maybe some sandpaper. Plenty of metal left. Oil it up and keep it oiled and it will last for a very long time. I have cleaned and used ones worse than that.

Back