Rust on my Rotisserie Spit, how do I handle this?

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
IMG_20220317_202217225.jpgIMG_20220317_202223348.jpg

I got the smallest bit of rust starting on my Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Spit that I got about a year ago, these photos where taken using the macro lens on my phone. The rust is not where the meat would sit, it is close to the beginning of the spit, so the meat has to cross over the spot when I am putting the meat on and off. What should I do? Is it safe to cook? I did a whole chicken last night and have two chickens planned to be spun for Sunday night's dinner. I put a little EVOO on it last night after these photos. Thanks in advance for your advice and knowledge!

I just went and looked and it says the material of the rod is "food grade chrome plated steel".

View attachment 47411View attachment 47412

I got the smallest bit of rust starting on my Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Spit that I got about a year ago, these photos where taken using the macro lens on my phone. The rust is not where the meat would sit, it is close to the beginning of the spit, so the meat has to cross over the spot when I am putting the meat on and off. What should I do? Is it safe to cook? I did a whole chicken last night and have two chickens planned to be spun for Sunday night's dinner. I put a little EVOO on it last night after these photos. Thanks in advance for your advice and knowledge!

I just went and looked and it says the material of the rod is "food grade chrome plated steel".
I don’t know much about spits, but if it’s chrome plated, just like Weber grates, it would need replacing at some point. In the mean time, you could clean and season it with oil while it cooks.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, when it gets really funky, replace it. More tools are not a bad thing.
I have not seen any on mine but, I’m fairly sure it will happen in time to anything plated under those circumstance.
That’s not much real help but, it’s the best I’ve got.
The Sunday spin will be fine I’d go ahead and use it.

Just clean it down and oil it. My Weber spit has been like this for years and years. It is how it is
Yeah, me too. It won't hurt you, but it might not be appealing to look at. You can shop around for a stainless steel spit and just replace it.

I’d just cook with it. All of my skewers for kabobs have rust spot on them and I turned out excellent....🤣

Green scotch Brite will take it off. If more is needed, use 0000 steel wool. Wash, dry, and oil.

I Thanks in advance for your advice and knowledge!

A while back I had a problem with my Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Bracket and I gave their GREAT customer Service a phone call in which they fixed my problem to my complete satisfaction!

The Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Kit that I purchased a few years back included a Stainless Steel Rotisserie Ring and Motor Bracket custom made by the Cajun Bandit Folks. The rest of the items in this Kit(Spit Forks,bushing, Spit Forks, etc.,) were manufactured by the One Grill.com Folks and I have had some good dealings with their customer service.

Why not give them a jingle regarding your situation??

Last edited:
It never hurts to reach out to the manufacturer and mention your uncomfortable with the rust.
I’d also look for a stainless fork.

A while back I had a problem with my Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Bracket and I gave their GREAT customer Service a phone call in which they fixed my problem to my complete satisfaction!

The Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Kit that I purchased a few years back included a Stainless Steel Rotisserie Ring custom made by the Cajun Bandit Folks. The rest of the items in this Kit(Spit Forks,bushing, Spit Forks, etc.,) were manufactured by the One Grill.com Folks and I have had some good dealings with their customer service.

Why not give them a jingle regarding your situation??
It is strange Richard. The rotisserie kit I bought from OneGrill for my Genny S330 had a 304 SS spit and forks. That is part of the reason I bought from them.

It is strange Richard. The rotisserie kit I bought from OneGrill for my Genny S330 had a 304 SS spit and forks. That is part of the reason I bought from them.
I have a feeling the plated spit was included for a few reasons, the most obvious one being cost. Since the motors are standard, they accept standard spit sizes. People can upgrade later.

In order to keep the initial price down, a basic spit is included which makes a product easier to keep competitive with foreign made units. The most important part of the rotisserie for a kettle though is the ring, which is where Cajun Bandit puts their money.

I have a feeling the plated spit was included for a few reasons, the most obvious one being cost. Since the motors are standard, they accept standard spit sizes. People can upgrade later.

In order to keep the initial price down, a basic spit is included which makes a product easier to keep competitive with foreign made units. The most important part of the rotisserie for a kettle though is the ring, which is where Cajun Bandit puts their money.
I am sure you are right about the cost factor Brock. I bought my SS OneGrill kit a few years ago. I wonder if they are putting chrome plated spits on their OneGrill branded ones now or just on the ones they supply to Cajun Bandit at their request.

I just prepped the chickens for Tomorrow's cook/spin. Super busy today so I will give the spit another clean before I use it tomorrow to see if that helps. I was worried that the use a green Scott pad was part of the problem.

The Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Kit that I purchased a few years back included a Stainless Steel Rotisserie Ring custom made by the Cajun Bandit Folks. The rest of the items in this Kit(Spit Forks,bushing, Spit Forks, etc.,) were manufactured by the One Grill.com Folks and I have had some good dealings with their customer service.

Richard, you are right, the motor and rod and other parts that come with the Cajun Bandit ring are made by OneGrill. Do you guys think I should reach out to Cajun Bandit who I purchased the kit from or One Grill the maker of the rod for customer service?

You can shop around for a stainless steel spit and just replace it.

Ed,
I started to look around and found a 304 stainless steel replacement from One grill here, and I think this is on my shot list of grill upgrades.

My next question is if I I upgrade the rod will I need to upgrade the forks and the bushing? As I read I think I will need to upgrade the bushing also, but not the forks.

Thanks for all the great input and always guys.

I just prepped the chickens for Tomorrow's cook/spin. Super busy today so I will give the spit another clean before I use it tomorrow to see if that helps. I was worried that the use a green Scott pad was part of the problem.

Richard, you are right, the motor and rod and other parts that come with the Cajun Bandit ring are made by OneGrill. Do you guys think I should reach out to Cajun Bandit who I purchased the kit from or One Grill the maker of the rod for customer service?

Ed,
I started to look around and found a 304 stainless steel replacement from One grill here, and I think this is on my shot list of grill upgrades.

My next question is if I I upgrade the rod will I need to upgrade the forks and the bushing? As I read I think I will need to upgrade the bushing also, but not the forks.

Thanks for all the great input and always guys.
Michael, the SS rod you linked to is a 1/2” hexagonal one so measure your forks to see if they would fit. If you have a 5/16 square rod now I doubt the hole in your forks is large enough to accommodate the 1/2” rod. I would reach out to OneGrill for fitment verification.
As for the rust, that is normal if you break/crack the chrome finish. Tightening the thumbscrews on the forks too tight can do it. Also, if you don’t loosen the screws off enough and having them scrape along the edge of the rod as you remove it can as well. It is the nature of the beast. After cleaning, make sure it is dry and then oil it, wipe it down and store in a dry area. Think of it as cast iron grates or fry pan. You have to oil them or they rust.
Looks like Cajun Bandit went with the chrome plated over the 304 SS to keep the price down. Too bad they didn’t give you the option to upgrade to the SS one for an added cost.
Hopefully Richard Garcia will chime in as I think he has dealt with both CB and OneGrill customer service on his CB purchase.
Let us know how you make out. But

I am sure you are right about the cost factor Brock. I bought my SS OneGrill kit a few years ago. I wonder if they are putting chrome plated spits on their OneGrill branded ones now or just on the ones they supply to Cajun Bandit at their request.
Could be.. some kits come with two prong forks as well, and a lot of people upgrade instantly to four prong forks.

It's interesting that the human mind will say "I won't buy that for over $200" but then spend more money in the long run to buy the additional spit and forks they wouldn't justify the cost for at the start.

Could be.. some kits come with two prong forks as well, and a lot of people upgrade instantly to four prong forks.

It's interesting that the human mind will say "I won't buy that for over $200" but then spend more money in the long run to buy the additional spit and forks they wouldn't justify the cost for at the start.
Boy, ain’t that the truth! I’ve spent more “making something work” than getting the “right“ one more than once! I lay it off to sheer stubbornness In my case.
interestingly enough, my wife has managed to get me to get the “upgrade” initially on many things. I’m a lucky man!

Best thing is to have all three...small 4-prong (Farberware), 4-prong, and 2-prong. I use the small 4-prong for just about everything.

Back