Rust issues

BradyB

TVWBB Member
Okay, so I have not used my smoker in quite some time. I am using it in a couple weeks. When I looked inside there was some mold. I just scrubbed all that off and will do a burn off before using it with food. However, my charcoal basket is very rusty. I scrubbed it off as best as I could, but it is still pretty rusty. Is this a cause for concern, or does it not matter much since it is just the charcoal basket?

Thanks,

Brady

I wouldn't give it a second thought.
My Gator has rust on the wood grate.
If u didn't have it before, it was just a matter of time.

Hi Brady,

About the mold, this i would really clean it up well ! I suggest you use something quite powerfull, maybe some easy-off. Than you rinse well and make your burn off ....

about the rust, i do not think it really matter if there is a little rust remaining but be sure to remove as much as you can !

Use something like that :
http://www.walmart.com/ip/K-To...-Wire-Brush/16918558

you fix it to a drill and ur ready to go !

Even after using this you will still be able to see some rust ... if you really want to remove it you could then apply a rust remover ...

but hey, if you do not already own anything i just talked about .. it's bonna be more expensive to buy them all than simply buying a replacement basket online
icon_smile.gif

Sounds like you are trying to keep it "Too Clean". Don't worry about a little "gunge" here and there. I take my grates off every now and then and spary on some HEavy Duty "Easy Off Oven Cleaner", let it set for a while, then put on my rubber gloves, and clean with paper towellw qne they look like new. I never hose out my charcoal pit on my Weber Mountain smoker, just dump all the ashes out and let it be. Wash it out if you wish, but some ash dust won't hurt.

Good luck on your smoke.

and btw, a little advice about rust on the GRATES !

never clean your grates AFTER cooking, do it just BEFORE !

The remaining fat help protect the grates against rust !

Before i was replacing grates every 2 years because of rust but it's been 4 years now ... and still going !

Ditto to that. I use my wire brush while the whatever is resting to knock off the big bits while the grill is still hot.
Then I just close it up until next time.

Thanks for the information. The mold came off easily. I am going to do a burn off this next weekend. I'll have to pick up a wire brush to attach to my drill and get off most of the rust from my charcoal basket. The grills are fine, no rust, just the charcoal basket.

good luck !

and btw, don't forget to wear protective glasses when using the wire brush because small particle tend to fly around and it's dangerous for your eyes !! ...

it happens to me once even with the glasses while removing rust on my brake caliper !! not funny at all, had to go to the hospital ... while it's free over here, i had to wait for 4 hours for a doctor to remove it !!

WRT the mold - do be aware that the joints between WSM sections are designed to keep condensation produced during the smoke inside the smoker rather than dribbling on the floor where the cooker stands. As a result, any rain that gets past the cover will also drain down into the bottom section. Many of us store our cookers with the middle section upside down so any moisture that gets to the outside stays outside the cooker. That eliminated the mold problem for me.

Back