Rust Encapsulator

MikeAlt

TVWBB Member
Has anyone sprayed rust encapsulator inside their weber genesis frame? I have a 20 year old
genesis silver B, it is time to take care of the frame. Would spraying the inside of the frame help?
Would spraying the outside of the frame help then spray paint with a high heat paint?
What size frame insert nuts do I need and where to get them?

Has anyone sprayed rust encapsulator inside their weber genesis frame? I have a 20 year old
genesis silver B, it is time to take care of the frame. Would spraying the inside of the frame help?
Would spraying the outside of the frame help then spray paint with a high heat paint?
What size frame insert nuts do I need and where to get them?
Hi Mike, I used these threaded inserts from Amazon in the past with good results:

Connector for 1" Square Tubing, 1/4-20 Threads https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SHPSED0/?tag=tvwb-20

Others have treated the inside of the frames. Try searching to board for POR15 for more info

Eastwood has another good rust treatment product. I would maybe do the inside of the frame, but unless the outside already has some nasty rust, I would just clean it up and repaint it.

I have. I had a frame that had quite a bit of rust inside and out. I used a .30 cal. brass gun cleaning brush and rod in my drill to get as much rust out of the frame as I could. Then I used rustoleum rust encapsulator inside the frame. I know there are probably better products available, but this works fine for the money. I did completely disassemble the frame to do this.

Eastwood is a great product, but I have had success with Rustoleum as long as you shake it up very well. I had one Rustoleum one and one other brand that just seemed to never mix up properly. They sprayed on almost clear rather than flat black.

The ultimate treatment for bad rust comes from Eastwood’s POR-15 that hardens like ceramic. It’s messy to work with, but is worth it where rust is more serious. It won’t replace metal that is gone, but POR 15 will strengthen the metal that is still there. It is not high heat tolerant, however, nor is rust encapsulater.

Jon, Eastwood and Por15 are two different products. They are essentially the same, but are made by two different companies as far as I know.

I’m not looking forward to the tear down to replace the fasteners but, my maroon Genny is starting to list to port by a couple of degrees and the bolts are “iffy” to be honest. So, when I get the box out in preparation for replacement of fasteners, I will use an encapsulator so I won’t need to do that again. While I have it apart, I might take the end caps over to a sandblaster and repaint them too. Why do it later when it will be out of action for a little while anyway, right?

Jon, Eastwood and Por15 are two different products. They are essentially the same, but are made by two different companies as far as I know.
My bad. Eastwood sells POR-15 on their website, so I just assumed it was their product as well. Their rust encapsulater is a great product, too. Just be careful to keep your spray nozzles very clean after using.

Back