Rust and corrosion problems

Every time I think it is safe to get back in the water…

I really would love to add an EX-4 to my bbq arsenal. Then I read something here that gives me serious pause. I have not experienced anything like what is being discussed here with my Recteq. The heat shield is solid as a rock. No, I don’t expect my RT-700 to last for 20 years but I also don’t expect the tragic disintegration that has been mentioned above. Weber did some really innovative things with the SmokeFire, but the bean counters keep pushing them to cheap metal. Same problem with the new Genesis II line which I think are very sharp looking gas grills worthy of the Weber name. But over in the gas grill section we are hearing many similar issues with the II line regarding the thin firebox and worse, rapidly rusting internal parts that are not readily replaceable.

I hear that Weber people read our posts here. If you are reading PLEASE do something to upgrade the quality of metal throughout and use REAL 304 stainless in a lot more places. Charge what you need to, but make grills that will last and not make George Stephen roll over in his grave! A Weber should not rust out in two years🙄!!!

Last edited:
I have a couple issues with rust and corrosion, Weber did send new parts, however I do think the metal is too thin and should be stainless.

Lew I was thinking of the flavorizer bars as you point out the pellet grill is a different beast but those bars get pretty hot. On my C that grill once warmed up on 2 burners will run at 500 if not a bit higher and that is using the lid therm so it has to be way hotter where the bars are over the burners. Yes its more spread out so maybe thats the reason they don't disintegrate as quickly they do show some rust and corrosion over time which mine are almost at the point they need to be replaced.

We all know its cost savings but you would have thought they would have used stainless for the heat shield because of the high heat concentration in a small area as you described.

To add fuel to the fire, finally was switching out the burn pot and pellet slide when the small burn pot grate disintegrated into three parts. That part will be here tomorrow. I worry about the day I have to start paying for this stuff.

To add fuel to the fire, finally was switching out the burn pot and pellet slide when the small burn pot grate disintegrated into three parts. That part will be here tomorrow. I worry about the day I have to start paying for this stuff.
Mike, curious how does the warranty work when they give you the new parts does it reset to 3 years might be wrong thought that was what those parts had for an original warranty. I get your worried if that is not the case when you actually have to start paying for it cause their stuff is not cheap on the parts market.

Yeah, I have one of the original Summit charcoal Kamado style pits. Really love it. One of the three braces at the bottom of the grill is also rusting. Was going to replace until they told me it would cost more than $40. Thanks, but no thanks.

Just watched a video by Jeremy Yoder (“Mad Scientist BBQ”). interesting how he manages the rust on his old stick burner. Coats the whole thing with spray canola oil and then fires the pit up. Kinda like seasoning cast iron. Might try it on the inside parts of the SmokeFire that are prone to rust. Anybody see drawbacks doing this?

Back