Rub vs paste...

Ok, I get rubs and I am wrestling with the notion of rubbing or not rubbing, but I have seen the topic come up on occasion of making a paste. Or, starting with a mustard slather and then using the rub there and it becomes a paste.

I can understand how this could make a might tasty bark, but one question that I had was: How does this affect the pregnation of the beneficent humours?

Does it inhibit smoke ring?
Does it stop the penetration of smoke flavour?
Does it slow down the penetration/formation of either (thus producing a bigger smoke ring or more smoke flavor)?

Of is it like the liquid in the water pan, it doesn't matter what you put in there, half the people say it is the key, the other half say don't bother? (I am with the don't bother group.)

Is a paste so much better than a rub that I should invest some serious time and energy (not to mention cleanup) into the idea?

Thank you...

I personally use a mustard slather. Does it affect the taste?? not that i can tell. Does it affect smoke ring or flavor?? Not that i can tell.

So why do i do it?? Well I like the fact that it holds my rub in place. I typically rinse and dry my meats, so adhesion can be a challenge. Some people i have heard use a salt sprinkle to draw some moisture out before they rub. That would work too.

As for time/energy/clean up, I find it almost faster because i don't have to worry about cleaning half my countertop from all the rub that bounced off the meat!! haha. Seriously though, its a very simple procedure. Give it a try on a rack of ribs or a butt and see how you feel.

I use a mustard slather before rubbing on everything, ribs, butts, and brisket. I think it helps develop the bark, and I don't see it as affecting the absorption of smoke. My BBQ always has a nice pink smoke-ring.

As for the mess, its not really a big deal. I usually have my wife or daughter squirt the mustard and shake the rub and I'm the one with the messy hands
icon_biggrin.gif

So, long story short: I'd say do it if you want to get a thicker bark (which is what I like and want), or don't do it if you don't care.

Now, its also entirely possible that my musing that I get a better bark is simply a myth, or a self-fulfilling prophecy because its what I always do. But it does seem that I get more rub to stick on my BBQ because of the mustard, as opposed to rub only on many of the things I simply grill.

Hopes this helps a little.

Bill

Using a paste will not effect smokering and there is no smoke penetration, smoke is layed on.

Once you rub (dry) the salt causes liquids to come to surface and the rub becomes a paste anyway.

I've heard this smoke is not penetrating but layed on statement before. I'm dumb. How does the smoke ring develop then?

Smokering formation is a chemical reaction between elements in the smoke and the meat. It is a chain reaction: depth of the smoke ring does not indicate smoke 'penetration' but, rather, the extent of the chain reaction. Lack of a smokering does not indicate lack of smoke flavor.

Mustard slathering can cause help rub adhere (it isn't necessary though); doesn't add much flavor. Paste rubs are flavorful. Here's an example of a dry-over-paste approach combining two flavorful rubs, a wet and a dry.

Back