Rub Suggestions

Every one of them has their points, some are better than others but, they are all a little different.
I am one to make my own, I keep Penzey's products on hand for virtually all my bottled herbs and spices! Excellent quality, reasonable pricing all the normal praise!
When I was on the road and was in Wisconsin every few weeks or so, I stopped at their Bluemound road store and went NUTS the first couple of times. My father was one of their early customers when the catalog was a typed sheet of paper!
Now, I have a store in Grand Rapids about an hour away so, mail order is not as needed as it used to be.
Try them, nice people to work with!

Just received my sampler packs from Oakridge, they smell amazing. Can't wait to do a butt and some ribs. Thanks for the heads up and thanks Mike for the quick shipping.

They smell so good, taste great too. Your a giants fan, I hope your ribs suck. Nah just playin they will turn out great, I only say that cause im a Dodger fan.

Ha! I didn't know there was such a thing as a Dodger fan, you learn something new everyday!

I sure am looking forward to a nice day in the backyard smoking some food, beer in hand and the Giants on the radio, good living right there. I'm sure you do the same listening to the icon Vin Scully.

Im an even bigger Raider fan.

Hell yeah, lounging in the backyard with the smoker going drinking a good beer watching sports, that's the best. Vin Scully is the man.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Meat Church! Honey Hog is great on pork shoulder and ribs. I even tried it on a cedar plank salmon and it was money!

I'm also a big fan of Plowboy's Yardbird on chicken.

I have read good reviews on both Meat Church and Plowboys Yardbird but have not tried those yet.

Sampling Oak Ridge Secret Weapon Pork & Chicken Rub on a pork butt today. It is a 6.98lb butt and I poured the whole sampler packet on it.

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/JoeTacoma/media/20160319_075107_zpsyvdyssz2.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=0

Done
http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/JoeTacoma/media/20160319_163142_zpswzjkbshu.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=0
I pulled it off grill when internal temp read 197 in spot and 206 in another. I feel I have overcooked it and may be dry. Will pull after it rests for an hour.

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/JoeTacoma/media/pulled pork 31916_zps9rztlvzw.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=0

Last edited:
I tend to make my own rubs, but lately I've been purchasing some to experiment a bit and find out what kinds of combinations I like. With that being said, I'm partial to Okie Dust and The BBQ Rub.

I am a fan of Big Ron's rubs. I have been using them for years, great service too.

He also makes a great bbq sauce that works well with his rub.

Did a couple pork tenderloin's with Oakridge competition pork rub and a tri tip with Oakridge Santa Maria, they both were awesome!!

I'm a big fan of "roll your own" - mainly because I find that:

I like different kinds of rubs on different meats:
-I like Pork (butts / ribs) a bit on the Sweeter side (try subbing-out Turbinado sugar / Sugar-In-The-Raw for the regular and/or Brown sugar in almost any Pork rub)
-I like Beef with simple 50/50 Kosher Salt / Cracked Coarse Pepper
-I like chicken lightly herbed with less salt

Not saying that the pre-mixed stuff is not good - But I'd rather have the ingredients on hand to make whatever I want and then tweak 'em a bit from there.

If you have things you like, there is nothing better than finding a blend that brings a smile!
I make most of my own but I have picked up a couple to take in my traveling kitchen kit just for those times when I get caught away from home and have not restocked with hand made stock. Most ready made are more salty than I prefer. Agreed on the use of turbinado, try mopping a pineapple with maple syrup or honey and roll it in turbinado then, a few more spins the get it nicely toasty.

Back