Rub & Mop question

Erich K

TVWBB Fan
Just a question to put out there...I smoked a brisket last week that had a mustard slater and rub on it to start. About halfway thru I started basting it with mop-type sauce til the end. The brisket tasted great but I couldn't taste the rub at all. The rub was pretty strong with cayenne and chili powder so I figured it would have a good "pop" on the finished brisky but it didn't. I figured the mop washed off the rub to some extent. Maybe I should have let the rub set overnite. Any one have any ideas/opinions?? Guess I've just have to do another one soon!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Erich,

Dale's idea makes sense.

Also, I always let the rub sit over night. I've done that with a mustard slathered and it worked fine.

How fresh were your spices? I've had cayenne go weak on me once or twice.

Here's a question. Did you cook fat side up or down? I'm reaching here but this is my thought. If you cooked fat side down, as you mention, your mop may have rubbed off some of your rub. Additionally if you cut the fat off your meat before eating then you would have lost the rub from that side as well.

Lately I've been doing brisket with something else cooking on the top rack (ribs, chuck roast) that way the meat on the top rack bastes the brisket with no need to mop.

Rob,
I did cook (for the first half) fat side down, just to try something different than the usual fat side up, but flipped it later. That might have been the deal. I think the spices were still fresh. Next time I'll let the rub sit on it overnight. I was thinking I could sprinkle some rub on the meat right before slicing as well. Thanks! PS...Sorry about them Eagles!

Instead of using an actual mop, you may want to use a spray bottle. Remember that bigger spices in your mop mixture may clog up the sprayer nozzle. Most folks strain their spices out before putting into a sprayer.

What was the mop recipe? If it was on the sweet side it will offset the set the heat of the rub.
If you want pop to a rub black pepper goes a long ways towards that end.
Jim

I had marinadated the brisket in a basamic vinegairette overnight then took the leftover the next day, simmered it in a small pot and used it later for a mop. Couldn't really taste the vinegairette distinctively either...I just figure I'm about 5 more brisket cooks from getting what I'm looking for! Thanks for the feedback! E

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erich K:
Rob,
I did cook (for the first half) fat side down, just to try something different than the usual fat side up, but flipped it later. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All of my flat cooks have been done following Jim Minion's recommendation to cook fat side down for the whole cook. Works GREAT!
icon_smile.gif
Also followed his advice to place the flat on a bacon bed and then put about 4 strips on top. Really good brisket, at least in my brisket uneducated opinion.

Vernon,
I haven't tryed that bacon thing yet...it sounds great...so you keep the fat side down the whole time with bacon on top and bottom? The joys of pork fat continue!!

Jim Minion recommended it.

I did it.

It WORKED GREAT!.

Oh yes, that was shouting in the avove paragraph. Success on first try!

Many thanks to all those on this board who educated me and thanks to Chris A for providing this board. I just hope that I can give back as much as I have taken.

I take it off towards the end. Yeah, it leaves a mark on the bark but it is not noticeable once you slice it. I believe that Jim's opinion is that the bacon is far more useful on the bottom than on the top of the brisket. The bacon on the grill is pretty well gone when the brisket comes off.

I do not think you need the bacon on top with a packer. All I have done so far is flats (because that is what was in Sam's at the time)

I have been reading Mr Minion's post . What I got out of it "and sometimes I may get mixed up in all the reading ". For the WSM , fat side down to cook , fat side up to rest and not too big on mops. I cooked some that way and it was some of the best I have done. I will be cooking fat down from now on.

I have used mops on the log burners, but the WSM does a good job with out them.

Rick

Back