Rub for smoked turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What is a good rub for a smoked turkey? I am going to do my dry run for Thanksgiving this weekend.

Turkey is such a bland bird and needs a kicked up rub. I use a commercial cajun rub on my birds when I smoke them, but you can make your own. Don't forget to wipe the bird with vegitable oil (I use safflower or olive) before you put the rub on. The oil helps the skin brown and crisp while cooking. If you put the rub on first, it tends to come off when you wipe the oil on. (I know "Duh!", but I did it backwards last bird - I had to blot the oil on.)

I really like Webers turkey rub!! You can get it from there site. Sage , orange peel,kosher salt,garlic,black pepper ,clove. It is really good with the honey brine recipe.

I've never put a rub on any of my turkeys. I guess I should give it a try. I usually only brine mine and get great results with just that.

Do you guys rub some under the skin and if so how do you go about it? Cause we never eat the skin just the meat. That's why I ask. Does it even pay to use a rub then?

Dennis.....

Very easy to get the rub under the skin. You can work your hand underneath the skin, gently lift up and separate from the body. You want to leave the skin intact, just gently lift it up. Once lifted, you can then sprinkle your rub down onto the breasts. When seasoned, simply let the skin fall back into place.

I do this for every chick or turkey I cook. A rub will NOT penetrate poultry skin, so you must make certain to season underneath the skin.

I was worried about this, too. I did my first turkey (pre-Thanksgiving test) on Tuesday. I had a bunch of BRITU rub left over and was too lazy to make or buy anything else. I used a dash of it and was pleasantly surprised.

The only change I've made is that I use less salt than the original calls for -- it's too salty for me otherwise.

I'm interested in trying some of the alternatives I've seen here, thanks for all the good info!

-Chris Estes-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back