Rub application question

Status
Not open for further replies.
At Costco or Sam's Club or Smart & Final, you can get big disposable steam table pans made out of aluminum. Use one of those to put the meat in and catch any errant rub. You can wash it out and reuse it. If you have a big party, you can't have too many of these pans.
steamtable%2Ejpg

Jimbo I had the same exact problem and then it hit me. Being a fisherman and frying an awful lot of fish in my day, I applied the method I use for putting fish fry on fillets. I got a really big plastic bag here at work, Id say about a 2-3 gallon bag and put my rub in there. then I put my butt in the bag(Larrys right..sounds weird). Its a little big to shake as you would fish but I found rolling it around in the bag really coated the whole butt really really well and there was NO mess. You can actually tie the thing off when you're through and stick in the frige like that to sit for however long..It works for me!! You do waste a bit of rub doing it this way..theres always a downfall..

I generally usa a big cookie sheet to set the meat on, one hand has a glove for the rubbing and the other does the sprinkling. I only sprinkle the rub as needed. Second thought is if you are in a warm climate just do it outside. Put some cling wrap on a card table rub it up and then wrap it in the cling. Lastly could just put it in front of a fan and sprinkle generously.

Billy,

Now *that's* something to give a whirl. Bagging would definitely cut down on the overspray and allows me to stay relatively rub-free.

I use the half or full aluminum sheet pans from Sam's Club. They are washable and reusable. Put the meat in them and any rub that misses ends up in the bottom of the pan.

Just like Tom's up above. They come in packs of 10-15.

I agree with Mr. Chilton, those aluminum pans from Sams have hundreds of uses. I line them with a double layers of foil and wrap the meat right out of the pan after its rubbed, that or straight to the cooker. You can wash the pans or throw them away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back