Rub application question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo M.

TVWBB Fan
In applying the dry rub to my pork shoulders, I created a pretty messy situation. I had each 7.5 lbs butt on a rack over a 1/4 sheet baking pan. When applying the rub, my wife commented that there was probably a small place on the ceiling where I hadn't slung the mix. I stopped and looked around and, sure nuff, I had created a disaster.

What's the general consensus for rub application for larger meats that doesn't require a drain in my kitchen floor?

Jimbo, what were you doing??? Applying the rub with a snowblower????
icon_eek.gif
Just kidding buddy! I find myself making a mess as well, when applying rub. The best advice I can give from my messy experiences, is to put small amount of your rub into a good sized bowl. Place your meat on something that is quite a bit larger than your meat. (this conversation sounds weird, where to put your meat) anyways. Grab handfuls of the rub from the bowl and rub on your meat generously, if you need more rub add it to your bowl, and continue to apply until you have an adequate amount of rub on your meat. Other than that, I cannot think of any other way to not make a mess applying rub. If you are applying rub using the "windmill" method you are out of luck!
icon_biggrin.gif

I always used to use a wide-mouth mason jar to store and dispense rub. Perforate one lid with a hammer and a large nail, making a dozen or so holes. For storage, place another, intact lid on top of the perforated one before screwing the ring on. Got this from AB.

Lately, I save the plastic jars that I buy rub spices in to use for rubs, as their caps have the two flaps-- one for pouring and one with a half dozen holes for shaking. With a little side-to-side wrist motion, you can apply rub very evenly, and without over-doing it. Use your other hand as a shield to keep the rub from straying to far off the mark.

Larry,

Thanks for the response. Actually, I probably would have made less of a mess had I used a power tool!

I was thinking about a large plastic rectangular container that was food safe. Kinda like a big Butt Rub Tub that I could do as you pointed out with a big bowl. I just don't have a bowl big enough not to coat the counters with the over-spray.

Snowblower ... sheesh, I guess I set myself up for that one.

Doug,
I use the same "big" containers you can purchase spices from at "Costco" to hold the spices. But pour what I need into a bowl rather than contaminate the containers. I like those "jumbo" containers. I have learned though to put a piece of plastic wrap over the opening and then put the lid on, to help create a good seal! I will have to get the mason jars, I never thought of those!!! I learned something today!
icon_biggrin.gif

Jim sorry about that! <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Snowblower ... sheesh, I guess I set myself up for that one.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Most of the time I set myself up!! Nice to someone else do the same!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
... pour what I need into a bowl rather than contaminate the containers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just employ a method where one hand stays clean, and only touches the rub container. The other hand positions the meat as necessary and does the "shielding". What's nice about using the spice dispenser jars is you can open and close them with a thumb-flick of the clean hand.

I do what Doug does works like a charm. I also spread out a layer of newspaper on the stove before i start to catch any stray flying rub. My wife likes my method.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Bryan

Largest thing I've done is a brisket or a a 20+ pound turkey. As a rule I use the large spice containers other folks have mentioned above.

One trick I've learned is to cover my prep table with cling wrap then to put the meat right dowon on the warp.

That way who cares if I've got rub all over the surface? When I cover the meat with the wrap all it does is press the spices back up against the meat. Which was what we wanted anyhow right?

Great ideas! Thanks to all.

My tiny kitchen doesn't have the space necessary to put down the wrap or newspaper and contain the rub (even if I don't use a snowblower, Larry).

Use an old roasting pan or the like. You can both apply rub with the meat in it, and transport to the WSM. Some big cheap plastic bowls from the dollar store work well, too.

I store my rub in big jars with a screw on lids. I like to apply the rub using a 3 cup flour sifter. Goes on like a coat of paint.

After the meat is coated, I still rub it in. Cuts down on the mess and also, any unused rub can be put back in the jar uncontamined.

Rath *back from the the land of torquise waters*

OK. I think between the flour sifter and the large old roasting pan I have my next Butt Rub Tub.

She hasn't said so, but my wife thanks each of you for keeping the kitchen floor from looking like it did this morning.

Hey Jimbo,

I had the same problem as you. Here's what I use now.

First off, I got a large jelly roll pan. It's about 20" x 30" with a 1" lip around the edges. I think it was about $8 at Gordon Food Service (used to be Smart & Final - Gordon's bought all the Smart & Final stores in FL). It slides away next to the fridge when not in use.

That goes nicely over the double sink in my kitchen. To apply the spice I got a spice shaker from Allied Kenco (http://www.alliedkenco.com/new.htm) for about $4. The rub goes into the shaker, and I sprinkle on the meat. At that point I can either rub it in or let it sit, depending on what I'm cooking.

Like Doug I try to keep one hand dry in the process. To date that hasn't worked out too good, so I keep lots of paper towels on hand.

The shaker is stainless and comes with a plastic cover to keep it air tight if you want to leave the rub in it. If you get a shaker, don't be afraid to get the one with the larger holes (5/32" I think).

A sifter works well, also, as Don has suggested. But it won't work with the Texas BBQ Rub #2, which has become one of my favorites.

Good luck!

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know that the Texas BBQ Rub #2 wouldn't go through a sifter. I guess everything really is bigger in Texas.

Sounds like you have a half-sheet pan ... something I was considering. I thought I'd also cruise for a food-safe plastic tub with more of a 3 - 4 inch lip. But, until then, I've go a large roasting pan that will hold one shoulder at a time.

The mason jar/shaker is looking pretty promising. Right now I have a vacuum canister that I use with the Tilia vacuum sealer to try and keep things fresh. But it's a pain to work with, so I was thinking about switching to just air-tight jars.

...luck to you also. I know I'll need mine!

When I'm preparing meat, I use a large food service box - you can get them in 2-packs from Sam's club - and do all the prep in those boxes. They're probably a good 2 feet wide or so and pretty deep - I've done a dozen racks of ribs in a couple of them, one for the de-skinning and one for the rubbing. That keeps the rub off your counter and all in the box, and also makes it easier to use the rub that didn't make it onto the meat when doing multiples of the same cut - i.e., halfway through my pile of ribs I scooped out the extra rub and used it on the remaining ribs, so the waste wasn't as much.

This is a great thread...a lot of really good methods. I start by scrubbing the counter top and put the meat right on there. I then put on medical gloves and rub the meat with mustard, pull one glove off and grab the rub. I too use the old spice jug from BJ's and use the ungloved hand to shake it on and the gloved hand to move the meat.

Clean up I use paper towels and Lysol cleaner or Clorox wipes.

Oh yeah...I do all this when my wife isnt around and should I hear footsteps I immediately start yelling "dont come in here" and "Im gonna clean up all this mess." She saw the mess once and hasnt come in since.

Jim,

I *wish* I could have taken a picture of the shock and horror on my wife's face. I couldn't back-pedal enough.

I really like the idea of something with a good side to it so that I can have some sideways protection.

Dwain -- food service boxes @ Sam's club. I'm there tomorrow to see what we have here. Thanks for pointin' me in that direction.

Thanks Jimbo. I need the laugh.

I mix in a bowl. Transfer to a cereal bowl what I guess will be used. Use that to pour in my hand or on the meat and rub to spread around.

Cereal bowl excess rub goes on anyway.

Mixing bowl excess goes back in the seasoned salt jar.

Usually wash my hands three or four times over the process. Every time after I touch uncooked meat.

Dave,

The OCD hand-washing is essential to prevent the cross contamination, but I'd like to get a container big enough to get like-spiced meat together. I seem to always do 2 pork shoulders and it's a pain to lather-rinse-repeat for each butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back