Rpi4 with HM?

Fred van Zoggel

Hello there,

I've been using 2 hm's for my webers for a few years now, but sadly one of them passed away.....

I ordered a new one, but my intention was to use it with the newer rpi4. I have one as a spare, but is it possible to get him working with the hm? I am a guy who does everything from reading google, the exact electronics expertise is a little difficult for me. I can't find an exact answer if it is, or not, possible to get this working.
Can anybody help me?

Thanks, Fred

Nope, not possible. They don't fit together because they changed the board layout too. There's no advantage to using a Pi4 over the 3 or Zero in terms of practical speed, the copious extra heat from the CPU can affect thermocouple readings slightly, and the extra power draw means there might not be enough 5V left for the servo too.

I suggest you try a rPi zero-w, cheap, low power/heat, tiny, only negative perhaps is the lack of LAN port and the mini hdmi. That said, as long as you can get your image to boot you don't need lan or HDMI, and I've never had a problem with a zero-w.

I'm sorry for the very late reply, i thought i would get an email when i had a reply.....didn't.
I can order a zero, but among my rpi4 i still have 2 pieces of rpi-3 over here. I ordered an assembled heatermeter (arrived today, thank you Brian), so i don't have to worry about setting up. The other HM i still own is running smoothly with the rpi-3, so i guess i will stick to that. I was just wondering if it would be possible with a 4, but now i understand it won't.
Now it's time to get the rotor damper parts again (thanks Ralph) and get my printer to do it's job ;)
Thanks for the clarifying answers!

Back