Royal Oak Ultra 100

M Rudko

TVWBB Member
So last night I ended up needing charcoal in the middle of NYC and after failed trips to Food Emporium and Trader Joe's ("We'll have it come summer?!"), I was reduced to paying 6 bucks for 4 lbs of Kingsford from a little bodega.

So this morning, I went over to Fairway and was surprised to find this:

http://www.royal-oak.com/index.php?id=42

I'd never heard of the stuff but picked up a bag. Anybody ever used it or have any info?

Thanks.

-Mike

I found this at my local Shop Rite a month or two ago. I love it. Insane cook times and consistent as K. I got 16 hours out of a full pan on my 18 inch WSM. I did a pork butt for 10 hours then closed all the vents. Had plenty left for a 5 hour spare rib cook the next day. I wish it were more readily available and a tad cheaper but this is my new favorite brand. Easier to use than the regular red bag RO.

My only slight criticism is it doesn't burn super hot like normal lump. So if you want to do some chickens high heat you'll need a lot of this to get your cooker to 350. I'd use the red bag RO for poultry and this for butts and briskets.

I've used this a couple times. It's good charcoal, just not readily available to me. I use Kingsford competition or Trader Joe's. They are all similar enough to me.

Back