Royal Oak + Pork Spareribs Advice needed

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
My first cook with pork spareribs + Royal Oak on the 22 inch kettle. The charcoal baskets will be used and filled to the top at the start. Planned cook is two hours so at 320F therefore how much R.O. to add after an hour or so?????

Last edited:
You made this exact thread a while ago and it didn't end well.

I would use the advice I gave you and others tried to give you while doing that long cook...beef ribs maybe I forget what you were cooking.
Cook these the same you will be alright.

I would use the advice I gave you and others tried to give you while doing that long cook...beef ribs maybe I forget what you were cooking.
Pork spare ribs. Alright. Got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm busy with Tesla!!!!!!!! And thanks for your supreme patience with me. The first shot was with beef and now this weekend with pork ribs.

Last edited:

I'm talking pork plus Royal Oak. Please reread my original inquiry.

Royal Oak Briqs and Kingsford briqs will burn about the same. IMO, the most fool proof way to smoke pork spare ribs is to run between 225 and 275 using the snake/fuze method rather than webers charcoal baskets. Not sure if there's a post on our forum about how to run the snake/fuse, but I think this youtube video is pretty decent.
\

I would wrap the ribs in HD foil with 2 TBS of apple juice (or pilsner) after about 3 hours of smoking with no lookin'. Check the ribs after about 90 minutes in the foil, to see if they're the texture you want. You could wait the full 2 hours for "3-2-1" but sometimes they get mushy after the full 2 hours. When the ribs are "soft enough" you can scatter a thin layer of hot coals and cook the ribs directly over the coals to firm them up a bit/caramelize sauce on the ribs if you like.

I'm not really sure how to do hot and fast ribs, although I know it can be done. Good luck!

I like to cook my ribs a bit longer than that.
I really like the snake method for low and slow cooking.

I once did a butt this way and messed up my lower vents for lack of a drip pan.
That was a $20 fix from Amazon but I found out the local ace had the parts for the same price.
I now use a 14” x 1” pie pan from Amazon as a drip pan.

I’ve never used the charcoal you mentioned that I am aware of.
The only thing that acts different for me coal wise is Mexican charcoal.
I dig it and have to adjust a bit for it.

Royal Oak Briqs and Kingsford briqs will burn about the same. IMO, the most fool proof way to smoke pork spare ribs is to run between 225 and 275 using the snake/fuze method rather than webers charcoal baskets. Not sure if there's a post on our forum about how to run the snake/fuse, but I think this youtube video is pretty decent. ......
Good to know. Probably I'll cook the ribs a little faster than 275F, more closer t0 320 or slightly lower. Thanks for the info.

Back