royal oak lump

Matt S

I started using lump charcoal 2 years ago. First, I used cowboy lump. I liked cowboy and I never had a problem with it, although i never really liked burning pieces of hardwood flooring.

After reading about cowboy on this site and the nakedwiz site, I switched to RO lump about 6 months ago. I love the flavor and high heat of RO. However, I have been finding some weird stuff in RO lately. I have found 3 rocks, some stuff that looks like plywood, and some stuff that looks like burnt steel wool.

Anybody else found weird stuff in RO lump?

I have also tried lazzari's mesquite lump, but it seems to spark way too much for my comfort. I hate to say it, but I might have to switch back to cowboy.

I use RO exclusively in my Primo XL and love it. I tried CB once and like you, found too many foreign objects.

tt

Yeah, RO has had some rocks and some wood that looks like scrap 2x4's etc. I bought a lot of Rancher so I'll be using that for awhile. I do like RO but mainly because it's available and a pretty good price - even with the extras.

RO is the only lump I've used and I think I found one rock last summer. That was it. I have more of a problem with the consistency of the size of the chunks though. One bag will have nothing but small chunks that fall through the grates easy or chunks so big it's hard to arrange them tight enough for a good Minion. I wouldn't switch though (especially since it's the only decent stuff sold around here
icon_smile.gif
).

Rocks are common in Lump because when the trees are cut down they tend to hit the ground pretty hard. Since lump is made from actual wood trunks and branches some of what's on the forest floor gets imbeded into the wood.
icon_wink.gif

Back