Royal Oak Lump...I don't get it

I've been using RO lump from Walmart exclusively for a couple of years. No issues with rocks etc. I like it

I'm bumping an old thread here, but I have the same issues with OP on Royal Oak. I have cooked with it two nights in a row now and I really like the smell and flavor but I am having a hell of a time getting it hot enough. Two nights ago I did chicken. I used a nearly full chimney of RO hardwood lump. My performer was having a hard time getting past 250 degrees. Did I not leave it in the chimney long enough? Did I not use enough lump? Did I not pack it tight enough? Does the lid need to be off to provide enough oxygen? Help! I am lost!

Andy,
If the total amount of lump you're using is "nearly a full chimney" then I'm guessing that's part of your problem.
Try putting the lit on some unlit, let it breathe for a few minutes and see how it goes.

One thing I've done, more times than I care to admit, is forget to open the bottom vents fully at start up.
When the coals aren't burning like they should, that's when it hits me.

Thanks Bob, I did check the bottom vent as I thought I could be having an o2 issue. It was fully open. Guess I will use more lump and give it more time to get up to speed next time.

Oh, also, on the second cook (burgers) I just used the Performer gas assist on a larger pile of unlit lump. I was able to get the temp up to about 400 degrees but after that it dipped down to 300 with the lid on. All of this feels like an o2 issue to me but it's all wide open. I must not be giving it enough time to fully ignite.

I'm surprised some of you guys are having issues with the low temp. I've always had lump, of any brand Royal oak, cowboy, groves, etc get really freaking hot in my grill. I'm usually closing the vents a bit too keep the stuff from burning to fast. Most of my grilling is done with all of the coals dumped on one half of the grate. Maybe the stuff just isn't for you, post back and update us though if you work out your issue.

I'll add that a few summers ago I was pumping out pizza like crazy. I would make a ring around the edge of the grill with unlit lump, then add a chimney of lit to the top. Throw my stone in the center of the cooking grate and man that grill would get hot. You'd need a glove to grab the plastic handle on the lid.

If my memory is correct, it should have lit fairly fast, burned hot for a short time and completely. I think it's difficult to work with so I prefer high end briquettes for direct fire and kbb for smoking.

I used to try to light a full chimney as well. Had the same issue with it not getting hot once the full chimney was lit. It seemed to take a long time, so I think by the time everything was lit, the lump in the bottom of the chimney was burned up. I also didn't like the amount of sparks it shot off when using the chimney. I started to pack the charcoal baskets with smaller pieces on the bottom and larger on the top. I used the gas assist on my performer for around 8-10 mins. That seemed to light up enough to get things going. I would then close the lid, and add the cooking grate to allow that to heat up for a good 10 minutes. My temps seemed to keep hot for a long time and even would close the bottom vent to 3/4 open. I've been doing that ever since and it seems to work for me. If my temps fall a bit, I just crack the lid and it seemed to help. As everyone else says, keeping it dry is key.

I'm surprised some of you guys are having issues with the low temp. I've always had lump, of any brand Royal oak, cowboy, groves, etc get really freaking hot in my grill. I'm usually closing the vents a bit too keep the stuff from burning to fast. Most of my grilling is done with all of the coals dumped on one half of the grate. Maybe the stuff just isn't for you, post back and update us though if you work out your issue.

I'll add that a few summers ago I was pumping out pizza like crazy. I would make a ring around the edge of the grill with unlit lump, then add a chimney of lit to the top. Throw my stone in the center of the cooking grate and man that grill would get hot. You'd need a glove to grab the plastic handle on the lid.

When I'm using lump I keep it banked to one side and it stays lit pretty well. Now if you're trying to spread it out across the fire grate that's a whole other animal. That has never worked out for me. I'd have the same problems the O.P. and Andy had of the fire being hard keep at a high temp.

Another tip, put a few briquettes (I use Kbb) at the bottom of your baskets or chimney to help get lump going since they light faster.

Back