Royal Oak Briquettes?

Russell McNeely

TVWBB Wizard
I was just wondering if anyone has used Royal Oak Briquettes and what you thought of them. A grocery store close to my house sells them and they would be convenient to use if I needed a bag quick. I have used RO lump and like it pretty well just never used the briquettes.

Russell... We use a private labeled version made by Royal Oak. Love them. Excellent product.
Very much like their lump, flavor wise. And... no white smoke ;)

I used the old RO briqs and the newer RO "Ridge" for quite awhile and like it.

Tim

I like both Royal Oak lump and briquettes. Have used their briquettes for many years and they are my first choice, unless I cant find them.

I will not use KB but I don't mind the R/O Briquettes. Very little odour easy to light and they work great for grilling. R/O lump works well for me too.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm gonna pick up a bag and give it a try.

I will not use KB but I don't mind the R/O Briquettes. Very little odour easy to light and they work great for grilling. R/O lump works well for me too.

Gary, I hear ya on the KB. I've been pretty unhappy with it the last few cooks. Thats another reason I was asking about the RO. I'm kind of looking for some other options (that won't drain my wallet). It's just so hard to pass up those big KB sales :(

I doubt it's the KB that's your problem, since it's used more than any charcoal out there with no problems I'd check your method...

Ok so I got a bag of RO "Ridge" and used it to grill a few B/S chicken breasts for fajitas yesterday. I bought an 18 lb bag for $5.99 at the Save-a-lot near my house. So far so good! Smells great while lighting, and was really happy with it for only having used it once. I'm sure I'll be buying some more.

Has anyone tried the Embers briquettes from Home Depot? They are made by royal oak and maybe the same as the ridge briquettes. Heck it says "new ridge design" so it must be the same.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Embers-16-6-lbs-Charcoal-Briquets-195355046/203811510?MERCH=RV-_-RV_search_plp_rr-1-_-NA-_-203811510-_-N

I've tried them once, they where fine. Much cheaper than kbb normal price at sam's club. I just did some grilling with them, not long cooks on the wsm. I think I'll give them another try though and try them in my wsm.

Back