Rotisserie WITHOUT infrared?

LMichaels and all, I was in Germany for a bit and took advantage of the fact that they sold the roti insert for the Qs.

I also have a roti insert for the Weber Go Anywhere that I bought from a German vendor. The WGA insert is pretty cool and I consider the Go Anywhere one of my most versatile grills with that and some additional accessories.

Any word on the infrared fix, Gary?

Hey Jepprey, check out this mod for the Weber GA...you can convert it to a smoker!

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?77...r-slow-and-low-with-TempMaster-Pro-controller

Sam Bee, that's pretty cool! I don't need it, but it would be nice to have one to play and mess around with. I'll probably pick one up off of Amazon since the price is reasonable.

Well, I'm not able to get it lit.

I may get a new ignition switch, but only because the button is missing - just a hanging corkscrew thing. But it works on all the burners, the smoker burner, and the side table burner. I've tried lighting the IR burner with a torch, but that doesn't even work. I do hear clicking, and I do keep the torch on it for 20-30 seconds, but it just doesn't fire up.

I an live without an IR option (bought this big gas grill to have options - the price was only $200 and other than the IR burner, and the firebox warping making the middle grill plate unuseable, everything else is in great condition.

So I may try making a rotisserie chicken without the IR, since lots of people do on grills that don't have that option.

LMichaels and all, I was in Germany for a bit and took advantage of the fact that they sold the roti insert for the Qs.

I also have a roti insert for the Weber Go Anywhere that I bought from a German vendor. The WGA insert is pretty cool and I consider the Go Anywhere one of my most versatile grills with that and some additional accessories.

Any word on the infrared fix, Gary?

Putting a pan in there does NOT make a magical "convection" version. It's still the same type of heat the pan just acts as a shield. That is what I found as funny. Convection requires forced air movement so unless you're also installing a fan in the grill you don't have convection

There are 3 types of heat transfer: 1. conduction think of the handle of a cast iron skillet, it gets hot because heat is transferred through the cast iron, 2. radiant think of the sun, when you're in the sun, you are warmed by heat transferred by radiation, requiring line of sight between the source and the sink. then 3. convection: There are 2 types, free and forced. In free, air motion is not generated by any external source (like a pump, fan, suction device, etc.) but only by density differences in the fluid occurring due to temperature gradients. In forced convection, air movement is enhanced by a fan or the like.

The pan eliminates this line of sight so radiant heat transfer is much reduced. In the posters case, the meat is being cooked by free convection: gradients of heat drive free convection.

Gary:
Time for the next step. Disconnect the gas line at the burner and see if you get gas flow. If yes, probably a blockage in the IR itself. If no, disconnect the line at the valve. If still no gas, probably a plugged valve since you have gas and ignition on everything else. Ready for some better weather. We've been about 20 degrees below normal. Even set a low high temp record the other day at 67. Broke old record from 1949. Naw, no such thing as global warming.......

I'll give those tips a shot! Thanks!

Yes, I'm so ready for better weather. We're expecting rain all weekend but maybe after that it will warm up. We had a week of nice spring weather about two weeks ago, then BAM temps went right back down. But that's Reno for you!

Gary:
Time for the next step. Disconnect the gas line at the burner and see if you get gas flow. If yes, probably a blockage in the IR itself. If no, disconnect the line at the valve. If still no gas, probably a plugged valve since you have gas and ignition on everything else. Ready for some better weather. We've been about 20 degrees below normal. Even set a low high temp record the other day at 67. Broke old record from 1949. Naw, no such thing as global warming.......

Gary, I am sorry but from your description of this grill it sounds like a pretty broken down "hulk". Warping the fire box on one of those is weird. They're steel and I have stumbled across a lot of them in REALLY poor condition but never one that was warped. A lesson here. Just because it's big doesn't make it a good deal. How can you even grill effectively if the center grates will not even stay up? So you have a 6 burner grill with the usable space of a 2 burner? I am kinda SMH on this one.
AFAIK Weber is still making parts for this unit. Maybe you can finagle a new fire box out of them. Register the grill as "first owner" and go for broke. Honestly if you cannot you're better off chalking this one up to a $200 mistake and find a better candidate to refurb. Sorry to be so direct but it's how I am.

There are 3 types of heat transfer: 1. conduction think of the handle of a cast iron skillet, it gets hot because heat is transferred through the cast iron, 2. radiant think of the sun, when you're in the sun, you are warmed by heat transferred by radiation, requiring line of sight between the source and the sink. then 3. convection: There are 2 types, free and forced. In free, air motion is not generated by any external source (like a pump, fan, suction device, etc.) but only by density differences in the fluid occurring due to temperature gradients. In forced convection, air movement is enhanced by a fan or the like.

The pan eliminates this line of sight so radiant heat transfer is much reduced. In the posters case, the meat is being cooked by free convection: gradients of heat drive free convection.

Jan Smith, wait, you are saying that there are only three types of heat transfer: conduction, radiation, and convection. And that I was right in my response in the sense of "free convection?" Thank you for the insight. I'm not as dumb as I thought! :wsm:

So, the assumption is that most Weber gas rotisserie cookers are cooking using free convection, having a pan between the heat source and the spinning meat. In Gary Winter's case, he can't use his infrared element to add a second (radiant) heat source to add a maillard effect to the exterior of the cooked meat, making his rotisserie cook less than ideal.

LMichaels, did I get this right? The allure of the infrared burner on the Genesis and rotisserie cooking?

It's far worse than "less than ideal". Because heat (whatever you want to call that heat and still quite honestly IMO convection requires a fan or some forced air movement) anyway with vertical burners trying to do rotisserie without an IR burner or SOME kind of burner going across the length of the food is a waste of time. Been there, done that, with my Summit (1st gen) and found spinning food useless at best. Now it does not have to be IR burner it can be a conventional burner. BroilKing uses a regular tube burner with the nice addition of a tray above it to hold wood chips as their rotisserie burner. I had an oooooold Ducane grill at one time that used that setup and I have to say it was THE best rotisserie grill I have EVER used bar none. Even the old style Genesis or my Wolf with IR cannot come close to how good that thing was. If I would have had the space I would have kept it just for that purpose only.
Anyway trying to rotisserie without the aid of a cross way burner (of ANY type) is like trying to take a shower by peeing into a fan. You get wet but to what end

Back