Rotisserie Ribeye Roast

J Grotz

TVWBB Wizard
This was likely my last rotisserie cook on my WSM22 and it was a good one. We had a 5lb ribeye roast in the freezer that I’ve been dying to cook. A couple of close friends celebrating a birthday and anniversary was reason enough to thaw it out.

I modified the Cooks Illustrated prime rib recipe. I dry brined it for 48 hours then rubbed it with pepper and put it on. The CI recipe calls for ultra low temps, 200 and below. I put 5 lit and 15 Weber briquettes in each charcoal basket and put the baskets on the lower cooking grate. I was shooting for 175, but it went over 210 so I pulled one basket out. Problem solved. 4 hours later it was at 120 and I pulled it.
B23EA1BC-DDD6-4C7C-AA7E-F81AFEC52571.jpeg
Earlier in the day, DW and I made some garlic herb spiral rolls in a CI skillet and cooked on the Genesis 1000. Too damn hot for the oven in the house.
A4093D2A-D95D-4152-A80A-4AD3268C4353.jpeg
There may have been some sampling for quality control. :coolkettle:

DW also whipped up a flat bread appetizer. We’re slackers. We made the rolls but not the flat bread. They were topped with Gorgonzola and dates figs and cooked in toaster oven ( brought outside because it’s too damn hot). After cooking they were finished with honey and arugula.
74BF3868-F6CE-4C0E-9B65-AF7D47983F6B.jpeg
B9FE4CB4-AFFE-45AE-B98E-A6577342BC8C.jpeg
So here is where I fell down on the job and forgot to keep taking pictures. The roast and everything else was delicious (no pics of the bakers or asparagus). The company was great and it cooled off to 91 by the time they arrived for the outdoor soirée.

The leftovers made delicious sammies.
22F95C2F-EEA1-47DA-B4AF-C9F281B84B2C.jpeg

Why’s it the last rotisserie cook on my WSM22? Because I scored this on Craigslist last week:
9FF4459D-D26E-43E7-8F3D-394FDD3767A9.jpeg
A new in box deep ocean blue Master-Touch. I can’t wait to fire up the rotisserie on it!

Last edited:
Damned, I whipped through your post hoping you mentioned why this was your last roto cook. Glad it had a happy ending!! Took a second look and looks wonderful! Ribeye Roast and those flatbread appetizers look amazing. Outstanding job J and Mrs. J.

I’m thing about doing a Sous Vide rib roast this weekend for my birthday party! The grand children are not big beef fans so, I’m doing a bunch of wings for them using the Vortex. Since there will be a great deal of heat available there I figure I can sear on the CI insert and wife’s son and I are the rare beef eaters so, it should work out nicely! Still working out sides in my head.

Everything looks great! I really like smoking beef at lower temps. I usually aim for 180° pit temp.

Thanks everyone! Tony, those are figs. For some reason I keep repeatedly calling them dates. Timothy my vortex was delivered tonight to go with the new kettle. I’m excited to try it out with some kettle fried chicken.
Don’t be stingy with the charcoal in the Vortex, I always fill mine to the rim. Generally I have some leftover coal from a previous indirect cook which I put on the bottom then I place the chimney inside the Vortex with a full charge and touch it off. In about 20 minutes, it’s ready to go! Seriously high heat!
Enjoy it J!

Back