Rotisserie questions

Here's the very first thing you should do when you get your roti, before you even cook on it...with the ring on, generate some smoke with the vents closed and see where your leaks are. Some charcoal, or charcoal and wood chips or pellets, a lit cigar, anything...generate some smoke and see if the leaks are tolerable. More leaks = less temp control. That's critical for a coal burner.

Last edited:
Before anyone goes off the deep end and starts buying more and more “stuff” use what you have when you get the roti ring. Mine is a Weber stock ring, I use two baskets and a drip pan, no fires, no unholy mess, no horror stories just really good feasting!BEC038C1-CDFD-4BB7-9211-BCBC50CF18F4.jpeg
Thats one I did two weeks ago, a cut whole head of garlic, cut clementine (Mandarin orange) stuffed, it was delicious!
Today, there is eight inches of snow on the kettles! Time to clear the driveway, sidewalks, grills etc!

Before anyone goes off the deep end and starts buying more and more “stuff” use what you have when you get the roti ring. Mine is a Weber stock ring, I use two baskets and a drip pan, no fires, no unholy mess, no horror stories just really good feasting!View attachment 62897
Thats one I did two weeks ago, a cut whole head of garlic, cut clementine (Mandarin orange) stuffed, it was delicious!
Today, there is eight inches of snow on the kettles! Time to clear the driveway, sidewalks, grills etc!
Great looking bird and I agree with everything you said.

It's the fat content that causes flare-ups and fires. Poultry has a low fat content so you will never (or rarely - never say never) see a chicken or turkey catch fire. 73% hamburger or a ham with a thick fat cap will flare-up or catch fire if the conditions are right, so those are the things that determine direct or indirect cooking. Things that take longer to cook like a 20lb turkey will be cooked indirect to prevent surface burning and excessive drying out, and things that cook relatively fast like a small roast will do well over direct heat, although tougher cuts of meat need to cook longer and slower for tenderness. If you use baskets, you can move the heat around, start (or finish) with direct heat for searing and indirect heat for cooking. On the menu for us tonight is spinning a small rib roast low and slow in the BGE.

I’ve never had a fire with a spun anything. Standing rib, pork loin all with significant fat caps. Drip pans are your friend when spinning fatty products.
932F56A5-DB24-458F-95A0-6B10FCFA3CC3.jpeg

I didn’t spin this but, basic indirect method rendered a darned near perfect roast beef. Fire management is a pretty basic part of grilling anything, baskets make it much easier than the old rails.

I’ve never had a fire with a spun anything. Standing rib, pork loin all with significant fat caps. Drip pans are your friend when spinning fatty products.
View attachment 62903

I didn’t spin this but, basic indirect method rendered a darned near perfect roast beef. Fire management is a pretty basic part of grilling anything, baskets make it much easier than the old rails.
That's what's so great about outdoor cooking! There are so many methods and techniques that take the same basic ingredients and turn out a different product. Those wire retainers have their own fan base (I still have a couple of pair from before kettles came with baskets) and their own application. One method is no better or worse than another...of course, we all have our preferences, but that's the joy of grilling. We did a small rib roast last weekend on the pellet grill low and slow, loved it and gobbled it down in 2 days. Now we want to try it on the roti in the BGE thanks to you darned enablers! :p

I'm with the "keep it simple" crowd. Use the Weber charcoal baskets, put one on each side of the kettle with a drip pan in the middle, and cook until done. For an extra treat, put a long-cooking vegetable (such as potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc) in the drip pan and let them roast along with the meat. Delicious, and no matter what the meat is you won't have to worry about flame-ups.

IMG_3078.JPG

I'm with the "keep it simple" crowd. Use the Weber charcoal baskets, put one on each side of the kettle with a drip pan in the middle, and cook until done. For an extra treat, put a long-cooking vegetable (such as potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc) in the drip pan and let them roast along with the meat. Delicious, and no matter what the meat is you won't have to worry about flame-ups.

View attachment 62906
Yeah, BUDDY!

Just have fun on your rotisserie and experiment! Did a tri-tip roast over direct coals and came out great. Didn't trim off all the fat, so drippings would hit the coals. I have a Summit E6 and love it, but I still have much fun and good results on my Kettle too. Got this Kettle Prem used for $50 that looked brand new and it does the job. Guess I use the Summit for smoking/pizza and grilling on the Kettle.

Weber OnlyFire Roti Basket.jpg

Just have fun on your rotisserie and experiment! Did a tri-tip roast over direct coals and came out great. Didn't trim off all the fat, so drippings would hit the coals. I have a Summit E6 and love it, but I still have much fun and good results on my Kettle too. Got this Kettle Prem used for $50 that looked brand new and it does the job. Guess I use the Summit for smoking/pizza and grilling on the Kettle.

View attachment 62912
I wouldn't have thought to do a tri-tip that way — I'll have to give it a shot!

Do you prefer one over the other?

I would love the summit but maybe another year. Looking at picking up a cheap kamado to try some low and slow on it, see how I go and maybe upgrade in a future year!
Turn you kettle into a low and slow beast! Check out this post, I have had this for a while and could not speak any higher of a product!

I also have the Cajun bandit rotisserie and also love it sooo much. I have two kettles the one the Aura Kettle Zone System never leaves and the other the Rotisserie is never off it for very long.
If you went to do low and slow go with a defuser system, if you want to do whole chickens and roast go with the rotisserie. They both would be amazing additions.

Turn you kettle into a low and slow beast! Check out this post, I have had this for a while and could not speak any higher of a product!

I also have the Cajun bandit rotisserie and also love it sooo much. I have two kettles the one the Aura Kettle Zone System never leaves and the other the Rotisserie is never off it for very long.
If you went to do low and slow go with a defuser system, if you want to do whole chickens and roast go with the rotisserie. They both would be amazing additions.
Link is broken ☹️

I'm watching this thread as I received a Weber roti for my birthday. Never had one, so got lot of cooking to catch up on.

Glad I got the Master Touch earlier this year as it comes with charcoal baskets.

Ordered the OnlyFire rotisserie from Amazon for $119 for my Performer, be here Monday. The enablers on another board talked me right into it.
The Joetisserie for the Kamado Joe was just too much money. It's supposed to stay in the box until Christmas but that may not happen.😁

Back