Rotisserie picanha - sliced or whole?

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
Today I picked up a 3-pound "USDA prime Brazilian picanha" at the store, because I simply can't say no to a good fat cap.;)

I've been doing some research and it seems like the popular churrascaria cooking method involves slicing the meat and then putting it on skewers for grilling; in fact, the cap on the piece I bought is actually scored to show where to slice. However, when it comes to the rotisserie I really like whole cuts that are carved and served at the table.

The easy answer is to grill it one way this time and the other way the next time, but picanha isn't a cut that I can count on seeing in store on a regular basis. I looked through a few (but not all) of the threads here and didn't see any where the picanha was rotisseried whole, so I'm asking now if anyone has done it this way. Thanks!

For anyone in the WI/IL stateline area, I found it for $10/lb at Festival Foods in Janesville.

Last edited:
Good to hear from you, Brad.
I'm with Chris, the more surfaces to get seared, the better.
I've never been able to find a whole sirloin cap, only sliced into pieces, bet it's very good that way too.

I'm right down the road from JVille. There is also a Festival in Belvidere IL and I wonder if they have it as well. Anyway today is off the list as I am going to see my dad today and cook him some nice ribeye and stuff on his old Genesis

Thanks, guys. My web searches also turned up the fact that picanha is also known as culotte, and I've come across a few culotte roast recipes that look interesting. Like this one:

https://mexicanfoodjournal.com/grilled-sirloin-cap-roast/

I won't be doing it today but it definitely looks like fun!

Bob, if you can find a shop that butchers whole sides I'll bet you could get a cap cut for you. Come up to watch the Brewers kick the snot out of the Cardinals this summer and I'll take you to a couple of good ones.;)

Last edited:
Bob, if you can find a shop that butchers whole sides I'll bet you could get a cap cut for you. Come up to watch the Brewers kick the snot out of the Cardinals this summer and I'll take you to a couple of good ones.;)

Thanks Brad, I needed a good laugh today. :p

This evening I'm grilling some Prime sirloin cap steaks purchased from Costco for 7.50/lb.
No fat cap though, maybe next time I go I'll ask one of their cutters if I can get some with the fat included.

Yep just what I want to eat. A piece of beef that tastes like an old burned dish towel and diesel thanks to briquette charcoal. Not thanks not this kid

Back