Rotisserie Direct or Indirect

Sorry not going to read a novella :D but doing rotisserie with direct heat is not the best use of it. (How's that?) You can achieve VERY high and searing heat (especially if spinning over charcoal) while still using indirect and make pichana or pirahna or whatever without the negative effects of using that same high heat directly under the food. I am one who does not like the flavor of the food directly exposed to the open flame. So I will never do "direct" heat rotisserie cooking (no matter the heat source) unless of course I am spinning on my Wolf. In that case because the IR burner is directly behind the food it is still cooking directly (try to argue THAT point with me :D) Anyway do as you like.

Sorry not going to read a novella :D but doing rotisserie with direct heat is not the best use of it. (How's that?) You can achieve VERY high and searing heat (especially if spinning over charcoal) while still using indirect and make pichana or pirahna or whatever without the negative effects of using that same high heat directly under the food. I am one who does not like the flavor of the food directly exposed to the open flame. So I will never do "direct" heat rotisserie cooking (no matter the heat source) unless of course I am spinning on my Wolf. In that case because the IR burner is directly behind the food it is still cooking directly (try to argue THAT point with me :D) Anyway do as you like.

That's kind of an interesting way to engage in a discussion. FWIW, since you did take the time to write a response, I went ahead and took the time to read it.

I'll start with this one:

"You can achieve VERY high and searing heat (especially if spinning over charcoal) while still using indirect and make pichana or pirahna or whatever without the negative effects of using that same high heat directly under the food."

Holy smokes!! We've all been using our Weber Kettles incorrectly this whole time. There's no need to cook or sear directly over the coals since indirect can produce the very high heat needed to sear. Going indirect would also take care of those "negative effects" of having high heat directly under the food.

Ironically enough, one of the points in my novella was all about how we sometimes do direct cooks, vs indirect or two zone cooks, depending on the situation. That the details of the cook actually dictate whether to go direct, indirect or a mix of both, rather than some arbitrary rule of "thou shalt only run indirect when using the rotisserie."

Sorry just had projects in the garage waiting and had work to do. It's just not that important to me. No offense

Back