Rotisserie Chicken Cook times

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
My Cajun Bandit rotisserie should be arriving tomorrow, but I won't have a chance to try it out until the weekend :(

I've got a 4-5 pound bird in the freezer for the first cook and planning to keep it simple with just some salt, pepper and minced garlic, maybe baste with some roadside chicken sauce. I know every cook is different, but what kind of cook time should I expect, assuming a temp of 325-350 (two full char-baskets)? I've read a bunch of different recipes and seen cook times of as little as 45 minutes up to 3-4 hours.

Also, we're having a get together for my wife's co-workers (she's a middle school guidance counselor, so they need some pre-therapy before the school year starts) and I'm planning to do 2 chickens the same way. Can I assume that like most other bbq/grill cooks, the additional meat shouldn't impact cook times that much? Maybe a bit more fuel usage and it might take longer to get to rebound once all the meat is in, but otherwise, it should take about the same amount of time?

Chad,
I did one yesterday with my Weber roti ring, it weighed 5.5 lbs.
One chimney of lump, half in a basket on each side, and it was done in an hour with a hood temp of 400.
Two might take a bit longer, but I wouldn't think very much.

b7OD6HECC49z91tTuw9bU8RyaphG8nlcMuWMJX8HPf__HdmW8JzOYZ3Dv1iZ1OsVrlYsbXZKjIx-6x2tU2WNtOeVokKSDtIdEUluO1l1AvKgTrlYsmvDI6-TuOgZsFglZfMTvos0shsH2PT8n3Ei-qKSXlersM6qPmhkc3KY1lKpEyTzZ3-TjOc0HmLJHIYFfftPSM2-XoWR_FrgS-SMPUjCyzcNQqJlG4V-XjUxJsmOKMQ85pj4k-uMsIZprktM1we5ecD-a7DKTJNIYM5FDJYZU9zan42iPCnTquXdCHc7uMk6RpwWKGhFxuF5WT5vePTzpIWvg-weCm8rpIsxndhBfpHglToxXDjBdzHm1Fkm5PsNWJNAe2zR0YLSwc2kkN1ySNvN-JVdDRCj-LSTfdYh1213PwHdUiLKMAJl7uGB0qRxfbklybCqpO205Wu2MnQBsNLw9BzNV1dMTVznP-jjhOQEwBFK2XRYMo8FDaPqA24lWAQPCRLe-rD_uQYt2ib70G_IpLvqNEPyBPQ7NzzsXoWrrzZA3BQ5ioqFpC7uY2aR-Zs79tE-3tp7Q5Ewuhjvj2C3Z9WC6lu3n0TVyb3hsi0eSHNr=w1128-h752-no

When I do two, I use a full load of charcoal (straight indirect set up) a full basket on both sides. A brace of five pounders took about two hours to get where I really wanted them. Skin crisp, breast meat moist and juicy, dark meat done to a delightful state! That's my take.
I'm actually doing a single bird this afternoon for dinner, the leftovers will become some sort of chicken salad, I think.
I've done them stuffed with a halved lemon and all that did (as far as I am concerned) was add twenty five extra minutes with no sense of "lemony goodness" better to take a few sprigs of rosemary and zest of a lemon. A nice herb butter under the skin is pretty good too! I really think when you spin a bird, less is more.
Have a great time!

Like Bob mine usually take around 1 hour give or take at a dome temp of around 400. Cooking two birds should not take any longer then cooking one.

I guess I run mine a little lower temp. The hour cooking time is probably perfect at 400 dome temp.
If you do multiple birds base cooking time on the average weight, not combined. I had a friend think he should use the total weight and turned his birds to cinders. When I explained the error he just about crawled under the grill! The guy is a college graduate and looked like he was going to cry, "I KNEW that! What was I thinking!?" Then we found a suitable beverage and started over! It was an "interesting day"

Back