Rotating food/grates?

Allen Sharar

TVWBB Super Fan
My apologies if this is already available somewhere - checked the site for newbies on getting started and didn't see anything. I'm planning smoking a couple of pork butts in the 6-8LB range this weekend. This will be my first cook on an 18" WSM I picked up used a month or so back. Do I need to rotate the meat partway through the cook? Does the food on the lower grate cook faster than the upper grate? I have a meater thermometer, but need to pickup another thermometer so I can monitor multiple pieces of meat. Any advice appreciated.

I would not bother with rotating, Allen. The reason is no two cuts of meat will finish cooking at the same time. One will probably finish fork tender before the other. The upper grate will likely be hotter. As far as thermometers go, a cheap four probe Maverick from Lowes or HD will get you by for a while but look at what ThermPro and ThermoWorks have to offer. Good luck on your cook and congrats on the WSM.

Edit: If you like the Meater thermometer, maybe get a second one.

Last edited:
I will echo what my namesake said, put them both on the top grate, (take the lower out so,you don’t need to clean it) touch it off and don’t peek!
I need to smoke a butt off this weekend, feeding a furniture moving crew! Planning on ignition around 06:00.

Cook went grate - just used the top grate. Started the grill at about midnight and butts were done a little after 11AM. First time running a WSM - followed site advice on firing up and reducing vents once it hit 200. Used a meater thermometer and the graph showed the temp running in the 230-240 range for nearly the entire cook. Have always been a kettle head and have had many successful low/slow cooks using snake method, but this felt quite a bit more full-proof - no tinkering required. Looking forward to many more cooks. Thanks for the advice, everyone!!

I find the top grate cooks a tad hotter/quicker. If I can only use the top grate I do. Airflow is important though if the top grate is loaded up with food and she can’t breathe. If too loaded up I’ll move some to the bottom.

Back