Rosemary as a smoke source?

Did a 'Beer Can' chicken last weekend and used a lemon pepper based rub along with a little apple wood.

The boss decided to make some rosemary foccacia bread to go along with it. We've got this rosemary plant that has grown into a huge monster that we take clippings from. Anyway, when I clipped a couple of stalks for the bread I had the thought to maybe try a small sprig in the fire for the chicken.

I gotta say, it was really good! The smoke immediately had the most wonderful smell and the chicken came out with a decent hint of rosemary in it.

Will have to try that trick again!

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russ Sylvester:
Did a 'Beer Can' chicken last weekend and used a lemon pepper based rub along with a little apple wood.

The boss decided to make some rosemary foccacia bread to go along with it. We've got this rosemary plant that has grown into a huge monster that we take clippings from. Anyway, when I clipped a couple of stalks for the bread I had the thought to maybe try a small sprig in the fire for the chicken.

I gotta say, it was really good! The smoke immediately had the most wonderful smell and the chicken came out with a decent hint of rosemary in it.

Will have to try that trick again!

Russ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, they're great for pork and lamb as well. Since you have an abundant amount, use the stems for skewers when making kabobs!! Depending on what you're skewering, you may need to pierce the meat with a regular skewer first though.

Just be careful with that rosemary - that stuff can be dangerous! (What follows is my entry in today's "Strangest Post" contest).

My wife put a sprig or two of rosemary in some beef stew she once made, and didn't bother to remove them when it was done. I, typically eating too fast, accidentally swallowed a sprig - almost. When it started down, I got choked, coughed, and the sprig of rosemary followed the route that milk did when (as a kid) you'd laugh and milk would come out your nose. It got stuck partway, leaving me in a near-panic state. Knowing my HMO as I did, I ran to the garage, found a flashlight, an inspection mirror, and a pair of needle-nose pliers and did some minor surgery (eat your heart out, McGuyver!)

I don't eat quite so fast these days.
icon_smile.gif

Skewers!?! Great idea! I would have never thought of that. BTW, you're original rub is going on the butts for this weekends Smoke Day outing. I'll be mixing it up tomorrow night. If I get asked what rub I used I'm going to say that I got it under special license by the owner.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Gee whiz Larry, Hungry??
icon_wink.gif

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry D.:
Just be careful with that rosemary - that stuff can be dangerous! (What follows is my entry in today's "Strangest Post" contest).

My wife put a sprig or two of rosemary in some beef stew she once made, and didn't bother to remove them when it was done. I, typically eating too fast, accidentally swallowed a sprig - almost. When it started down, I got choked, coughed, and the sprig of rosemary followed the route that milk did when (as a kid) you'd laugh and milk would come out your nose. It got stuck partway, leaving me in a near-panic state. Knowing my HMO as I did, I ran to the garage, found a flashlight, an inspection mirror, and a pair of needle-nose pliers and did some minor surgery (eat your heart out, McGuyver!)

I don't eat quite so fast these days.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a bite of a peanut butter and banana sandwich in my mouth, followed by a swig of milk and YOU and that story caused most of it to be shot out of my mouth and onto my monitor! That has to be one of the funniest stories I've ever heard. Thank God it turned out good and you had a good set of tools or it could have been far worse!!! Glad you're okay and thanks for sharing that story, it made my day!

HI,

We skewer lamb chops with rosemary sprigs before grilling. They stick out far enough to remind us to remove them.

We also toss rosemary sprigs on the grill before topping with chops. Really nice flavor.

Tim

Back