• Room Temperature out 1-2 hours before

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Chilled right out of the refrigerator on the grill

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Out for hours in a climate controlled setting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I read about grilling frozen beef for the first time today.

Learned my new thing.

I guess it is well known among tvwbb members?

Thanks. Never done it but that's what I thought was needed to do it.

I've watched chefs say leave the meat out and other say it makes no difference. From my personal experiences, I find no difference, neither in the cooking process, nor in taste or texture of the finished product.
I concur. I've been known to throw the steaks in the freezer for 10 minutes prior to cooking. Nothing to do with taste or texture. Just a bit of an insurance policy against possible incompetence on my part.

I have tried it all different ways and find no time difference to be of any help, your only allowing the meat to stay in the danger temps , whats going to cook quicker 70 or 250 degree? . If you love cold red centers a frozen steak to the grill will give you a large wiggle room to create a crust. I also use to think a rub needed to be on something being smoked the night before, I haven't been able to tell any difference in a large chunk of meat that was rubbed right out of the fridge then onto the smoker, it might make a difference in thin cuts but don't cry the blues when the salt pulls the moisture out and you have dry meat lol. my goal is a juicy flavorful end product

FWIW, I saw one video where the cook went from freezer to grill. To be honest, I think the goal was to have a good sear and a rare steak, and the grill he used could not get as hot as a Weber, Hence the freezer technique,

Meh. I usually just thaw if it's frozen or bring from the fridge. While grill heating up I leave it on a plate wrapped in paper towel to help wick any moisture off it. Just before it goes on salt and pepper (MAYBE) a touch of oil on it but rarely. And it goes on. I don't use crazy temps on my grill either

Thanks again to everyone who responded- i am going to try different options based on what I have read here.

Cheers

I couldn’t find an option that works for me.
I season the meat right out of fridge and let it rest until the coals are ready 20-30 or so minutes later.

I was wondering if the resting time might be location specific but I do the same in a hot or cold environment .

I can't vote as I would say: it doesn't matter!
If you have thin steaks and want to cook them rare, better throw them on from frozen ;)
By the way, the American recommended internal temperature for rare is equal to the European mainland temperature for medium to done :) :) :)

I can't vote as I would say: it doesn't matter!
If you have thin steaks and want to cook them rare, better throw them on from frozen ;)
By the way, the American recommended internal temperature for rare is equal to the European mainland temperature for medium to done :) :) :)
Hello Anne- based on many of the replies here and additional reading on my part I think you are spot-on with the “it doesn’t matter “ vote.

The flank steak I grilled the other night was really good though, rubbed with Lea & Perrins in the early morning, refrigerated until around three and grilled around 5pm.

That’s the way I learned from my dad and Uncle Matty at least.

Going to try the meat freezer to grill though, that sounds interesting.

I've read / heard that leaving the steak out for a few hours relaxes the proteins and makes for a more tender steak.
Now does that make a difference depending on cut or grade? I dunno.

Back