rookie

Doug Mahood

i'm getting ready for first cook in my 22.5. hope i'm not being to ambitious. 3 racks baby backs on lower grill and one rack bbr with 6 chicken thighs on upper grill. i'm thinking putting chicken on upper grill will make it easier to delay putting it on by about an hour. using basic recipe from virtual website and planning on holding temp at 275. I understand first cook is hard to hold smoker down to 250. is this a sound plan or am I setting myself up for failure? thinking 4 to 5 hr. cooking time.

As long as you foil the ribs on the bottom and put the thighs on after u have foiled them...timing should work. Not good to have chicken juices on rib...good luck

Smokin is a constant learning experience so I say go for it. I see nothing wrong with what you are suggesting. I often mix meats or have a pot of beans on the lower rack under ribs. As others have said keep your flavors in mid, including the rubs you use on each of the meats and you should be fine. Be sure to let us know how it goes.
Ad welcome to the world of WSM cooking.

Mike

I've never used a rib rack. Do you need to rotate the ribs or can they stay in one position on rack for the whole cook?

I have no doubt that you are right Bob, but I still shudder at the thought.
Pork basted chicken sounds better to me than vice versa.

You chicken has raw chicken juice on it too, but you're going to eat that.

It doesn't matter what drips on what as long as you get it up to temp.

The only concerns would be flavor, and you wouldn't want raw chicken dripping on ribs you're about to pull out of the pit.

Back