Rock fish tacos, not Rick Fish Tacos

Let's hope this system blows out before Saturday, or we'll be lucky to even catch Rock Fish. I just hope it doesn't turn into a Striper trip. I hate Striper

Looks good....how were they? I am yet to enjoy a really good fish taco....never made them, when I eat one I never like it.
They were quite good. Outside of my traditional fish tacos in that I used a slaw versus shredded cabbage so the profile was slightly different.

I’d recommend you use a seafood you like. We like rock fish, red snapper or shrimps. Season your fish as that’s important. I am also a yellow corn tortilla fan on these. The yellow corn has much more flavor than white corn. And you must put some char on and cook the tortillas and them place them in a tortilla holder or ziplock bag.

This tortilla steaming process is key to a flavored and playable tortilla. I usually do a tomato pepper sauce which is basically tomato paste thinned out with water and red chili flakes (Rubio’s fire salsa recipe) and a dash of salt.

You must have lime wedges for your tacos as the acid brighten up the taco. And thinly sliced avocado adds a nice creamy texture.

I usually also make a Baja sauce, which is regular sour cream, lime juice and a few sugar granules, all combined and mixed till it runs, but not watery thin. You can add chipotle sauce at this stage for a chipotle Baja sauce.

Since I had the slaw here, I didn’t need the Baja sauce. But, I prefer the raw thinly sliced cabbage version along with that pepper flake salsa and Baja sauce combo. Those flavors just play together really well.

Some people like a fried fish taco. I’ll eat them either way. In Mexico you’ll find many styles of these tacos. They’re always good and flavorful and light.

Our favorite prep method is to grill them like I did here. The slight smokiness, sear and the moved to indirect to finish yields a nice crust on the fish and a moist and flaky inside.

Shrimps are super easy if you want to start with those. I could live on grilled shrimp every day. They’re just magical in flavor.

I did do shrimp tacos a few times......
Post number 35 was the taco setup.....these were way overblown with too many toppings.....good at the time but it was mouth flavor overboard.
I also didn't get a crisp on them but they cook crazy fast......
If I remember right the marinade was quick and used equal parts oil to Killer Hogs king craw....its a bold flavor and coated the shrimp well.
1686063859167.png

I did do shrimp tacos a few times......
Post number 35 was the taco setup.....these were way overblown with too many toppings.....good at the time but it was mouth flavor overboard.
I also didn't get a crisp on them but they cook crazy fast......
If I remember right the marinade was quick and used equal parts oil to Killer Hogs king craw....its a bold flavor and coated the shrimp well.
View attachment 72082
i'd recco you put those shrimps atop your coals either skewered or on the cooking grate. much more flavor that way than in a CI on a grill. you'll get deeper and more complex flavors than just pan cooking them. just don't burn them.

Back